Gourmet Hot Dog: The Green Monster
Sometimes you feel the need to do something healthy. If it isn't some crazy news article telling you that hot dogs are the cause of global warming, poverty, and rouge asteroids that will destroy the earth, then it is some co-worker or family member nagging you about your dietary choices. Now, you can grill up the Green Monster dog and quell that hounding for a hot dog that your taste buds are throwing your way and have the best of both worlds: a hot dog and something that is actually good for you.
We use Field Roast brand veggie dogs, since we feel they taste the best, and a ton of green vegetables that will have the hot dog haters in your life green with envy.
- 1 package hot dog buns
- 1 package veggie dogs, Field Roast brand
- 2 avocados
- 1 jar tomatillo relish
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 6 jalpenos
- 1 jar sport peppers
- 1 can cooking spray
- Slice the avocados into small wedges. Set aside.
- Dice the jalapeños. Set aside.
- De-stem the cilantro. Set aside.
- In a sillet over medium heat, cook the veggie dogs, rolling frequently to ensure even cooking. Veggie dogs tend to stick so spray generously with cooking spray as needed.
- When the veggie dogs are cooked, lay into buns. Spoon in enough tomatillo relish to cover the frank, lay in avocado wedges, add jalapeños and sport peppers to taste. Top with cilantro.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Carbohydrates 38 g||13%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Protein 27 g||54%|
|Sodium 848 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|