I enjoy writing about health and wellness. It is a joy to share this living lifestyle with readers.
What Are Raw (or Living) Foods?
Raw foods, or living foods, are foods that are consumed uncooked and unprocessed and that are between 92–118°F (33–48°C). In my humble opinion, these foods are the fountain of youth. Consuming living foods may help with many ailments and health conditions. It clarifies the mind, removes energy blockages in the body, and allows the maintenance of a youthful system. It will boost your energy level 110%. Open your mind, and discover your true self—a version of yourself you've never experienced before.
How I Began
I was 26 years old when I began my journey in discovering living foods. I was introduced to the living foods lifestyle by raw/living food expert Beverly Medley, who taught classes in Philadelphia. As I sat in her class and listened to her speak of not only the food, but also the way of thinking behind living this lifestyle, I was immediately a believer; it spoke to my soul.
Soon after, I began doing a very needed colon cleanse (which I hadn’t done since I was a child in Jamaica). I eliminated meats from my diet, and I saw immediate shifts in my energy level, skin, and weight. I still continued to eat seafood, but some months later I eliminated seafood, as well. Once seafood was eliminated, I used tofu and mushrooms as transitional foods to help me along my journey. I continued to read, learn, and grow further—and it’s the best decision I could have made for myself. I am now able to share the importance of healthy eating and thinking with my children and those I meet.
Let's Begin, Shall We?
To begin your journey to raw/living, I would first ask that you have an open mind. Be open to trying new foods and new ideas you never knew existed. I would say that was the first step for me. Once you have given up the idea that you can never live without eating chicken or meat, you are well on your way.
How to Prepare:
- Be open to change. Be open to thinking differently about the way you’ve approached food consumption in the past.
- Read, watch videos, and find support groups (both locally and online).
- Purchase a juicer, blender, and food processor (optional).
- Meditate daily. Choose a quiet time of day, and meditate for 10–15 minutes minimum.
- You will discover amazing changes and want to share it with everyone. Understand that those people may not be ready.
Time to Take Action
- Eliminate all junk food and other unhealthy foods and drinks from your home.
- Go food shopping to stock up on items to begin.
- Read, read, read the ingredients of every item you buy at the grocery store and farmers market.
- Do not ever convince yourself it is okay to go back to unhealthy eating. It will be twice as hard to return.
Freshly Made Papaya Power Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup fresh papaya
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 pitted dates
- Blend ingredients together.
- Garnish with mint (optional).
Be Patient and Take It One Day at a Time
- Be patient with your growth and transformation.
- Mood swings may come as you eliminate foods. Know that this too shall pass.
- The more you resist, the less the temptation persists.
- If you choose to, adding a colon cleanse would also help to expedite the cleansing of the toxins and old foods that have lined the colon over the years.
- Eat lots of water-rich foods to keep you hydrated.
- It is okay to eat certain cooked foods, as well; for example, quinoa, wild rice, and gluten-free pasta. Ensure all your consumption is vegan. To begin, start off with 50/50 cooked-raw/living foods.
- If you find 50/50 to be too challenging, consider adding one raw meal a day to your daily consumption. For example, have a large fruit bowl for breakfast or a smoothie bowl to begin your day.
- Take time out for quiet time, yoga, taichi, walks, reading, etc.—whatever it is you enjoy and that feeds your spirit. Do it!
Have you Ever Tried a Raw/Living Food Lifestyle?
This content is for informational purposes only and does not substitute for formal and individualized diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed medical professional. Do not stop or alter your current course of treatment. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2019 Sharene Williams