Leah is a follower of the 21-Day Fix. She works in mental health.
I developed this recipe for Memorial Day Weekend—a time to celebrate with family. A few of my family members came from Florida to visit, and my niece has celiac disease. She's gluten-free, and I wanted to surprise her (and my gluten-sensitive friend) with some healthy donuts that wouldn't make them sick.
I worked to figure out a healthy donut recipe with a cake-like quality that can be customized, since we tend to be a picky bunch. I was so happy when these came out as well as they did. I chose to top mine with a dairy-free, homemade drizzle, strawberries, and coconut, but the possibilities are endless!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
12 donuts (1 donut per serving)
For the donuts:
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Spray coconut oil, to grease the pan
For the chocolate drizzle topping:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Read More From Delishably
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease donut tins with coconut oil spray.
- Whisk the applesauce and honey together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, and whisk until all is incorporated.
- Stir in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until everything is blended well. Don't worry if there's some lumps, this is normal, just try to break them up a bit.
- Spread the batter into the circles on your donut pan. I only have 1 six circle donut pan, so I had to do this in 2 batches.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the donuts comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool, and flip them out onto a cooling rack.
- For the chocolate drizzle: Melt the coconut oil, and add the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Mix with a fork until everything is blended. Drizzle the donuts with the chocolate sauce, or you can dip the top of the donuts into the chocolate sauce if you like a more chocolatey donut.
- Feel free to customize these however you like. I added strawberries and coconut to some of the donuts.
- Once you are done decorating the donuts, place them in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate sauce to harden. Enjoy!
Container Count for 21 Day Fix
These donuts work out to one yellow container, but don't forget to add in your toppings!
What Do You Think?
Questions & Answers
Question: I can't use almond flour because I am allergic to almonds. What can I replace it with?
Answer: You can use any other type of flour that works for you. Coconut flour tends to cook up a bit wetter, so you might have to bake it a little longer. If you’re gluten free, any gluten free flour works. If not you could even use regular or whole wheat flour.
© 2018 Leah