Healthy Vegan Snacks: Spicy Cabbage and Onion Pancakes
Cabbage and onion pancakes are spicy and delicious. It is a filling snack. It can be a substitute for evening meals. The spicy pancake batter can be used to make many varieties of pancakes by using different vegetables like potato, cabbage, spinach, fenugreek leaves, ridge gourd, etc. In this article, I demonstrate how to make the spicy cabbage and onion version and the spicy ridge gourd one.
- 2 1/2 cups white raw rice/crepe rice, soaked in water for 3 hours
- 3/4 cup coconut, grated
- 10 red chili (dry)
- lemon size tamarind, soaked in water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- lemon size jaggery
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, optional
- 3/4 tsp salt to taste
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- oil for shallow frying
Step-By-Step Cooking Instructions:
- Wash rice.
- Soak in fresh water with fenugreek seeds for 3 hours. Strain the water. Collect it in a glass for later use.
- Take soaked rice with fenugreek seeds, red chili, asafoetida, turmeric powder, soaked tamarind, grated coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, jaggery, and salt in a grinder. Grind adding water, to get a near-smooth, medium-thick batter.
- Transfer it to another container.
- Mix once.
- Rest it for 3-4 hours. You can even use the batter instantly.
How to Make Spicy Cabbage and Onion Pancakes
- two cups of finely chopped cabbage
- half a cup of finely chopped onion
- one heaping cup or more of the spicy batter
- Take a mixing bowl. Add two cups of finely chopped cabbage, half a cup of finely chopped onion, and one heaping cup or more of the spicy batter. Mix well. The mix should be loose so that it will be easier to spread on the pan.
- Heat a pan. Grease it with some oil.
- Pour a ladle full of the mix in the center. Let the fire be minimal until you spread the mix into a pancake. Slowly spread it towards the edges with your fingers. Flatten it. Leave 2-3 holes in between. Increase the flame.
- The pancake size depends on you. You can make a full-size pancake or a small pancake.
- Sprinkle a few drops of oil on the top side.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- After two minutes, the bottom side should turn a golden color. Flip it. Sprinkle a few drops of oil.
- Cook for two more minutes or until the pancake gets a golden color.
- Remove to a serving plate.
- Enjoy it hot!!
Making the Spicy Ridge Gourd Version
The procedure is same as that of the previous one. However, in this case, you have to:
- thinly slice the ridge gourd (remove the skin).
- Dip the slices in the batter.
- Keep the slices on the greased hot pan, touching one another as shown in the pic.
- You can make a spicy potato version by slicing the potatoes the same way you did the ridge gourd.
- Tender fenugreek leaves can be used with this batter. You have to finely chop the leaves and some onion, then follow the basic pancake-making steps from above. Even spinach can be used with this recipe.
- You can make spicy vegetable pancakes for an after-school snack.