How to Make Delicious Vegetarian Nut Burgers
I was brought up with vegetarian parents, and I was a full vegetarian until the age of 12 when I decided to try meat. I never looked back and began eating meat, but these nutty treats have stayed on the menu. And I still cook them at barbecues alongside my homemade meat burgers.
- 25g butter (salted)
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 Large Chopped onion
- 17g wholemeal flour
- 145ml full cream milk
- 20ml dark soy sauce
- 230g mixed chopped nuts
- 12ml tomato puree
- 1 Large beaten egg
- 180g wholemeal fresh breadcrumbs
- Pepper (to season)
- Cheddar Cheese
Making Your Vegetarian Nut Burgers
- Melt the 25g of butter in a saucepan and fry the onions and the parsley together until the onions are caramelised and starting to turn slightly brown. Stir in the flour and fry for 2 minutes.
- Take the pan off of the heat, gently and slowly add the milk, bring to the boil, and keep stirring until the sauce thickens up and is not lumpy, and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped nuts, tomato puree and the soy sauce then keep stirring and slowly add the breadcrumbs. Add the eggs and a pinch of pepper. Mix well
- Divide the mix into 8 patties. Grill the patties for 4 minutes a side. Serve in a sesame bun or a bun of your choice with tomatoes, parsley and cheddar cheese.