How to Make Fenugreek Leaf Gram Flour Curry (Methi Sagu)
Fenugreek Leaf Gram Flour Curry (Methi Sagu)
Awesome Combination of Fenugreek Leaf(methi) and Gram Flour
Fenugreek leaves are very tasty and aromatic when cooked. A curry made with their leaves is not only delicious but nutritious as well. Added to this, gram flour is the other leading ingredient in this dish that is equally as nutrient-dense.
Fenugreek leaves are known source of fiber, iron, protein, vitamins, and minerals. People use it to control diabetes, maintain heart health, and reduce cholesterol. Fenugreek is good for nursing mothers. It helps to relieve sore throat and constipation.
Gram flour is low in calories and high in protein and fiber content. It is rich with carbohydrates too. It is a very good source of folate, manganese, copper, and magnesium. This flour enhances the taste of this side dish.
This fenugreek leaf curry is easy to make. It is very delicious and creamy. Serve this mildly-spicy curry hot with any type of flat bread, roti, chapati, or poori.
Now, let's see how to make this awesome dish.
- 1 heaped cup fresh fenugreek(methi) leaves, washed, pat dried, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly pressed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/2 small cup gram flour(besan)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder(dry mango powder), or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the taste
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Fenugreek Leaf Gram Flour Curry (Methi Sagu)
- Wash fenugreek leaves. Pat dry them. Roughly chop them. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add roughly pressed garlic cloves. Saute on a low heat till they get golden brown.
- Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Throw in chopped fenugreek leaves. Saute on a low fire for 3-4 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, mix gram flour with remaining oil. Rub with your fingers to blend them nicely, so that there is no lump in it. Set aside.
- Add half a cup of water to the pan. Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Throw in red chili powder, salt, sugar, and dry mango powder. Mix well. Stir-cook for a minute. By now, the water would have dried up in the pan.
- Add half a cup of water. Add gram flour mix. Reduce the heat to minimum. Stir it continuously, so that there won't be any lump in it.
- Add some more water to keep it wet. Don't add too much water. Cook the mix on a low heat for a few minutes or till the flour gets cooked.
- Turn off the heat. Check for taste. Adjust the spices and salt accordingly. Your favorite fenugreek leaves curry is ready!
- Serve this awesome silky curry with hot roti, poori, chapati, or any other flatbread. Enjoy eating!