I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
The Awesome Combination of Fenugreek Leaf (Methi) and Gram Flour
Fenugreek leaves are very tasty and aromatic when cooked. A curry made with these leaves is not only delicious but also nutritious. Gram flour is the other leading ingredient in this dish, and it's also dense in nutrients.
- Fenugreek leaves are a known source of fiber, iron, protein, vitamins, and minerals. People use them to help control diabetes, maintain heart health, and reduce cholesterol. Fenugreek is also said to be good for nursing mothers. It may help to relieve sore throats and constipation.
- Gram flour is low in calories and high in protein and fiber content. It is rich in carbohydrates, too. It is a very good source of folate, manganese, copper, and magnesium. This flour enhances the taste of this side dish.
This fenugreek leaf curry is easy to make. It is very delicious and creamy. Serve this mildly spicy curry hot with any type of flatbread—roti, chapati, or poori.
Now, let's see how to make this awesome dish.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 2 or 3 people.
- 1 heaping cup fresh fenugreek (methi) leaves, washed, patted dry, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 small cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder), or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, to balance the taste
- 1/3 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- Wash the fenugreek leaves. Pat them dry. Roughly chop them. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add the roughly pressed garlic cloves. Saute on low heat till they become golden brown.
- Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Throw in the chopped fenugreek leaves. Saute on low for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the gram flour with the remaining oil. Rub the mixture with your fingers to blend it nicely so that there aren't any lumps. Set aside.
- Add half a cup of water to the pan. Cover the pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Throw in the red chili powder, salt, sugar, and dry mango powder. Mix well. Stir-cook for a minute. By now, the water should have dried up in the pan.
- Add half a cup of water. Add the gram flour mix. Reduce the heat to minimum. Stir it continuously to eliminate lumps.
- Add some more water to keep it wet. Don't add too much water. Cook the mix on low heat for a few minutes or till the flour is cooked.
- Turn off the heat. Check for taste. Adjust the spices and salt accordingly. Your favorite curry is ready!
- Serve this awesome silky curry with hot roti, poori, chapati, or any other flatbread. Enjoy eating!