Jeramy's Easy Vegan Lunch: BLT, Baked French Fries, and Chickpea Salad
Quick and Easy Summer Lunch
Jeramy, from Tulsa, loves to cook and has recently gone vegetarian for health reasons and found that his last doctor visit proved he made the right decision.
Jeramy says to make these recipes quickly, clear your working area and set out your ingredients. A good approach is to scrub and slice or chop your vegetables before starting. Then, cooking and assembly goes smoothly. Once you discover how tasty and easy this recipe is, you will be making it for your friends and family regularly.
The kids love this meal, too!
Do you like getting whole meal recipes?
Cook Time for the Entire Lunch
Baked French Fries
These French Fries take about 15 minutes to cook. Since Jeramy's French Fries finished cooking before the rest of the meal, it might be better to begin cooking the mushrooms and chickpeas before putting the French Fries into the oven.
Cook Time for French Fries
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 15 min Ready in: 25 min
Yields: 4 servings
Preparing Baked French Fries
- 4 Yukon potatoes, medium, scrubbed
- salt, pepper, and garlic salt, sprinkled as desired
- coconut oil in a spray can
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray two cookie sheets with the coconut oil spray. Leaving on the scrubbed peels, thinly slice the potatoes. Layer them onto the cookie sheets. Lightly sprinkle the seasonings onto the cut potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and, immediately, take them off the cookie sheets with a pancake turner.
Healthy Food Makes Healthy You
Implications of the research done by Arizona State University on mushrooms show that mushrooms can protect against cardiovascular disease by making arteries less sticky. (NutritionFacts.org; Dr. Michael Greger, M.D.) Mushrooms play an anti-inflammatory role and may stimulate antibody production, based on the university research done on vascular disease.
Join the bacon craze! This vegan Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato sandwich is all about turning portobello mushrooms into the flavor of bacon. The mushrooms cook down, making a watery sauce. So, there is enough juice in the pan to allow you to used too mushrooms instead of just one--for more bacon flavor.
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 10 min Ready in: 15 min
Yields: Serves 4
- 1 portobello mushroom, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise, vegan
- Clean your mushroom and thinly slice. Mix the first 9 ingredients and begin warming the sauce in a frying pan on a medium low heat. Stir in the mushroom slices. Once the you see more liquid in the pan, increase the heat to medium or medium high. Stir occasionally. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. The texture will depend on how thinly the mushrooms are sliced.
- Remove mushrooms from the heat. Prepare the sandwich bread by toasting it. Spread on the vegan mayonnaise, a leaf of lettuce, some tomato slices, and the mushroom bacon. Serve.
The Whole Meal Prepared
Barbecue Chickpea Salad with Creamy Dressing
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 5 min Ready in: 15 min
Yields: Serves 4
- 1 c. chickpeas, cooked
- 1/2 c. barbecue sauce
- 1 large package of mixed greens
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 tbsp. yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 c. tahini or nut butter
- 1/4 c. brown rice syrup (adjust sweetness to taste)
- 1/4 c. nondairy milk
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. savory
Mix the chickpeas and the barbecue sauce in a sauce pan and heat on low or medium low, so that the sauce sticks to the chickpeas, cooking just a few minutes, then let cool.
While the chickpeas are warming, mix all of the ingredients for the Creamy Dressing.
In a large bowl mix the salad vegetables. Top with barbecued chickpeas. Drizzle the Creamy Dressing over the top. Serve.
After checking for percentages, this high fiber meal of BLT, French Fries, and Barbecue Chickpea Salad easily provides 33% (for 1 meal out of 3 daily meals) of an adult's daily requirements for protein and calcium, as well as other healthy nutrients.