For 30 years, I have been vegetarian and mostly vegan. I've learned to create tasty vegan recipes to appeal to my family of 7.
Jon's Spicy Potpies
Jon lives in Portland, Oregon, and loves potpies his way—a little spicy. He enjoys healthy meals and likes to cook, but, as a busy, hard-working bachelor, he doesn't have a lot of time to spend doing that. This recipe was developed by us (him and me) so that it would be easy to prepare and chock-full of healthy veggies—and appeal to his tastes by being a little spicier than a typical potpie. Try it. I think you'll like it!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 to 5 cups vegetables, chopped
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits, vegan, large or grand
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour, white, unbleached
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
The recipe calls for vegan biscuits. The refrigerator biscuits that work well and are vegan are Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Biscuits. (As a precaution, check the label to be sure the ingredients have remained vegan.)
- Preheat the oven according to the biscuit package directions.
- In a large saucepan, heat the margarine and vegetables to soften on medium heat. Sprinkle with flour, then stir. Add milk and spices, stirring constantly to slightly thicken. The mixture should be both creamy and a little soupy.
- Spoon the mixture into six individual casserole bowls or pie tins. With your fingers, divide the biscuits in half. Place one section on the top of each bowl or tin, stretching the dough to the edges. (For larger tins, use an entire, divided biscuit.)
- Place the bowls or tins on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes., until biscuits are lightly browned.
Read More From Delishably
Here are some samples of the calorie counts using the below ingredients. (Keep in mind that you should use vegetables that you enjoy eating, not necessarily these that are listed.)
If you use 1/2 cup of each of the following:
- green beans
. . . plus 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup bell pepper, 30 calories per cup of nondairy milk, 3 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 large biscuit, your calories per serving (of 6 servings) would be 165 calories (each potpie).
If you use all of the above but substitute navy beans for green beans to increase protein content, the per-serving calorie count would be 183 calories (each potpie of 6).