Jon's Spicy Vegan Pot Pie
Jon's Pot Pies
Jon's Spicy Pot Pies
Jon lives in Portland, Oregon, and loves pot pies his way—a little spicy. He enjoys healthy meals and likes to cook but, as a busy, hard-working bachelor, doesn't have a lot of time to spend doing that. This recipe was developed by us (him and me) so that it would be easy to prepare and chock-full of healthy veggies—and appeal to his tastes by being a little spicier than a typical pot pie. Try it. I think you'll like it!
- 4-5 c. vegetables, chopped
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits, vegan, large or grand
- 4 T. margarine
- 3 T. flour, white, unbleached
- 2 c. nondairy milk
- 1/2 t. onion salt
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t. thyme
- 1/8 t. pepper
The recipe calls for vegan biscuits. The refrigerator biscuits that work well and are vegan are Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers Biscuits. (As a precaution, check the label to be sure the ingredients have remained vegan.)
- Preheat oven according to biscuit package directions.
- In large sauce pan heat margarine & vegetables to soften on medium heat. Sprinkle with flour; then stir. Add milk & spices, stirring constantly to slightly thicken. The mixture should be both creamy and a little soupy.
- Spoon the mixture into six individual casserole bowls or pie tins. With your fingers divide the biscuits in half. Place one section on the top of each bowl or tin, stretching the dough to the edges. (For larger tins, use an entire, divided biscuit.
- Place the bowls or tins on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes., until biscuits are lightly browned.
Ready to BeginClick thumbnail to view full-size
Here are some samples of the calorie counts using the below ingredients. (Keep in mind that you should use vegetables that you enjoy eating, and not necessarily these that are listed.)
If you use 1/2 c. peas, 1/2 c. potatoes, 1/2 c. broccoli, 1/2 c. carrots, 1/2 c. green beans, 1/2 c. squash, 1/2 c. celery, 1/2 c. cauliflower, 1/2 c. corn, 1/4 c. onion, and 1/4 c. bell pepper plus 30 calorie per cup nondairy milk, 3 T. flour, and 1/2 large biscuit, your calories per serving (of 6 servings) would be 165 calories (each pot pie).
If you use all of the above but substitute navy beans for green beans to increase protein content, the per serving calorie count would be 183 calories (each pot pie of 6).