I have been cooking vegetarian meals with my family for over 20 years, and I love sharing my delicious creations!
A few months ago, I discovered the keto diet on YouTube. I never thought eating low carb would be an option for me because I'm a vegetarian. I have struggled with my weight since third grade, and I have tried every diet out there. My sister and I started a new weight loss journey in August, and so far I have lost 24 pounds! I have mixed in all the diets I've learned in the past and some new ones, too.
Even though I am not eating exclusively keto foods, I have incorporated some keto meals into my diet. It has been my experience that, because they are so high in fat, they help keep you full, so you are able to go longer without eating. I came up with this meal that incorporates all of my favorite keto options that are still vegetarian. It is so delicious, I promise you won't miss a single carb!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Makes one serving
- 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce smoked cheddar
- Pinch of black pepper, coarsely ground
- Pinch of pink sea salt, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan.
- Add broccoli, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until garlic and broccoli is beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Move broccoli to one side of the pan and add the rest of butter to the other side of the pan.
- Add the eggs to the remaining butter and cook over medium heat, about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve broccoli and eggs with 1 ounce sliced smoked cheddar.
A Flavourful Dish
The flavor of the smoked cheddar really complements the broccoli and eggs. As a vegetarian, I love smoked cheeses because they add a bacon-like flavor to any dish. This has a strong garlic flavor because I love garlic, and I hear it's very good for your health—but if you're not a fan, you can definitely reduce the garlic or leave it out altogether and substitute a quarter cup of chopped bell peppers or onions.
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to read this, and please don't hesitate to send me a message if you have any questions! Happy cooking!
Shauna L Bowling from Central Florida on January 11, 2019:
This looks yummy. I love eggs. The broccoli makes for a nice side instead of potatoes or toast. Gotta have something to dip into that yolk! Broccoli works just as well as toast, right?
Pollyannalana from US on January 10, 2019:
Looks fantastic. I will sure try it.