One-Pot Meals: Vegan Spinach Rice (Palak Rice)
Vegan Spinach Rice or Palak Rice
An Awesome Combo of Spinach and Kidney Beans
Making a wholesome meal for the family is sometimes a challenging task. Who likes to eat the same old thing even if it is healthy? If you want to try a new dish, you can choose this hassle-free spinach rice recipe. This also makes a great to-go lunch that you can put in a lunchbox.
One-pot spinach rice is a contemporary dish that is delicious, nutritious, and easy to make. The addition of kidney beans is an added attraction of this yummy dish.
It took me only about 35 minutes to make. I served it with a yogurt based cucumber-onion-tomato raita. It was just fantastic!
- 1 1/4 cup white raw rice, I used Sona masoori rice
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small cup kidney beans(rajma), soaked in water for 10 hours or overnight
- 2 heaped bowls spinach(palak), finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp rasam powder or curry powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 1/2 tsp oil, If you don't want it to be vegan, use 1 1/2 tsp oil and 1 tsp ghee
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making One-Pot Vegan Spinach Rice
- Wash and soak rice in fresh water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker base or in a skillet. I used a pressure cooker. Add minced garlic. Saute till it gets golden and aromatic.
- Add chopped onions. Saute for a minute. Add tomatoes. Stir-cook for 4-5 minutes or till they are soft.
- Add rice and soaked kidney beans. Continue stir-cooking for further 2 minutes.
- Throw in chopped spinach leaves. Add salt. Mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add all the spices, such as curry powder or rasam powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Combine well with the other ingredients.
- Add 3 glasses of water. Adjust the salt. Stir well. Bring the mix to a boil. Cook it for 4-5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Now, close the cooker lid and place the weight. Keep the flame on high. Cook up to 2 whistles. Reduce the flame and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove.
- Open the lid, when the entire pressure releases from the cooker naturally. Gently mix it once with a fork. Now, your favorite spinach rice is ready to serve.
- Eat it hot with a yogurt- based cucumber-onion raita. Enjoy the heavenly taste!
In case, if you don't want to keep spinach rice vegan, use 1 1/2 tsp oil and a tsp of ghee instead of using only oil. Definitely ghee enhances the flavor here.
Nutritional Information of Spinach Rice
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 22 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|