I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
An Awesome Combo of Spinach and Kidney Beans
Making a wholesome meal for the family is sometimes a challenging task. Who likes to eat the same old thing, even if it is healthy? If you want to try a new dish, you can choose this hassle-free spinach rice recipe. This also makes a great to-go lunch that you can put in a lunchbox.
One-pot spinach rice is a contemporary dish that is delicious, nutritious, and easy to make. The addition of kidney beans is an added attraction of this yummy dish.
It took me only about 35 minutes to make. I served it with a yogurt-based cucumber-onion-tomato raita (you can use vegan yogurt). It was just fantastic!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 1/4 cup white raw rice (I used Sona masoori rice.)
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small cup kidney beans (rajma), soaked in water for 10 hours or overnight
- 2 heaped bowls spinach (palak), finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons rasam powder or curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons oil (If you don't want it to be vegan, use 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and 1 teaspoon ghee.)
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice in fresh water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker base or in a skillet. I used a pressure cooker. Add the minced garlic. Saute till it gets golden and aromatic.
- Add the chopped onions. Saute for a minute. Add the tomatoes. Stir-cook for 4 to 5 minutes or till they are soft.
- Add the rice and soaked kidney beans. Continue stir-cooking for a further 2 minutes.
- Throw in the chopped spinach leaves. Add salt. Mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add all the spices, such as curry powder or rasam powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder. Combine well with the other ingredients.
- Add 3 glasses of water. Adjust the salt. Stir well. Bring the mix to a boil. Cook it for 4 to 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Now, close the cooker lid and place the weight. Keep the flame on high. Cook up to 2 whistles. Reduce the flame and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove.
- Open the lid when the entire pressure releases from the cooker naturally. Gently mix it once with a fork. Now, your favorite spinach rice is ready to serve.
- Eat it hot with a yogurt-based cucumber-onion raita. Enjoy the heavenly taste!