Paneer Makhani: A Curry With Butter and Tomato Gravy
About Paneer Makhani
"Makhan" means butter in Hindi. Paneer makhani is a curry made with butter. Oil is not used in this curry. The butter gives this spicy curry a smooth texture and wonderful flavor. I used a few cashew nut pieces and fresh cream along with the other spices to make the gravy. Paneer immersed in this spicy and creamy gravy tastes awesome.
Why Paneer Makhani?
Paneer makhani is an easy dish with a rich flavor. It is a perfect side dish for fried rice, ghee rice, biryani and flatbread. A popular, colorful, buttery, creamy, and spicy curry for the parties. Try this healthy recipe and enjoy the taste!!
- 1 bowl tomato, finely chopped
- 200 g paneer, cut in cubes
- 2 1/2 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp fresh or frozen milk cream
- 2-3 green chilies, slit and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves, for making ginger-garlic paste
- 1 inch ginger, for making ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 inch ginger, julienned
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder(gives red color), or any other chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp or more sugar, as per taste
- 2 tbsp cashew nut pieces(optional), I used, soak in water
Step-By-By Instructions and Images for Making Paneer Makhani
- Chop tomato. Soak cashew nut pieces in water for 10 minutes. Grind them together to get a smooth liquid. Keep aside.
- Make ginger-garlic paste, by crushing them in a pestle. Alternatively, if you have ready paste, you can use it.
- Immerse paneer cubes in very hot water for 30 seconds. Drain the water. Run cold water on it. Keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute till they turn golden. Pour tomato puree to it. Let the mix boil on a medium high fire. Stir the mix occasionally. Add red chili powder and salt. Lower the fire, when the paste starts leaving oil on the edges. It may take about 8-10 minutes.
- Throw julienned ginger and slit green chilies. continue stir-cooking for 2 minutes. Add a cup of water. Let the mix boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add paneer cubes. Gently mix them with the gravy. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add milk cream and sugar. Softly turn and mix the gravy. Simmer for a few seconds or till you get the thick consistency. Sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves on it.
- Paneer makhani is ready!! Serve it hot with fried rice, cumin rice, biryani, or flatbread. Enjoy the creamy curry!!