L.M. Reid is an Irish writer who has published many articles. She creates delicious recipes and has plenty of dinner and desserts to share.
My Recipe for a Vegan Apple Pie
In this article, I will show you how to make an apple tart that is suitable for both vegans and vegetarians. I have also included a recipe for shortcrust pastry, which you can use in other vegan dishes.
I have shared step-by-step instructions with my own photos and videos so you can follow this recipe easily.
Step 1: Make the Vegan Pastry
- 320 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 225 grams vegan butter
- 1/2 cup water
- Add the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix it together.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and mix into the flour with your hands. It will be ready when you have small crumbly bits in the bowl.
- Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add some water.
- Mix with a knife until dry and gradually add more water.
- Continue like this until the mixture turns into a dough that is easily rolled into a ball.
Step 2: Knead and Chill the Dough
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean surface and remove the dough from the bowl.
- Knead the dough with some flour so it is covered on all sides.
- Cut it in half and cover in cling film (plastic wrap).
- Put the two pieces into the fridge so they can chill. It is best to do this for at least 1 hour.
Step 3: Make the Filling
- 4 large cooking apples
- 60 grams organic white sugar
- 30 grams organic dark brown sugar
- 30 grams vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, 220 C, or Gas mark 7.
- Take the cooking apples and peel them.
- Cut into small slices and add to a large bowl.
- Add the white sugar and mix into the apple pieces.
- Do the same with the brown sugar
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Lightly sprinkle a work surface with flour and place one piece of the dough on top. Add another bit of flour on top of it.
- Roll the dough into a thin circle.
Step 4: Assemble the Pie
- Place the dough into the plate making sure to add some to the sides too.
- Make some holes in the bottom of the dough.
- Put the apples into the dish.
- Roll out the second part of the dough as above.
- Place this over the apples and press down on the sides.
- Use a sharp knife to cut some small holes in the dough.
Step 5: Bake the Pie
- Place the pie dish in the oven.
- Bake the pie for 60 minutes.
- When it is cooked remove it from the oven.
- Lightly cover the top with some butter and sprinkle sugar over the crust.
- Place on a counter to cool down for about 1 hour.
- Slice and serve with vegan vanilla ice cream or custard.
- Sugar: Ordinary sugar is not suitable for vegans because it is made with animal bones. Organic sugar is made differently using a bone-free process.
- Vegan puff or flaky pastry: You can now buy vegan pastry easily in the stores, too. This is handy if you do not want to go to the trouble of making the pastry yourself.