How to Make Delicious Bubble and Squeak Rosti
Bubble and Squeak Rosti Recipe
Bubble and squeak is a highly underrated dish created from leftover veg particularly greens like cabbage or Brussel sprouts.
These single rostis are a fantastic dish to accompany and meat dish and are a delicious way of revamping your leftovers from the day before.
This recipe will serve 3 or up to 4 people and make (makes 8 rostis)
- 3 oz (75 g) (trimmed weight) Green cabbage/Spring greens
- 1 lb (450 g Potatoes
- 1 level tablespoon Plain Flour
- 2 oz (50 g) Mature Cheddar
- 1 oz (25 g) Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
Preparing Your Bubble and Squeak Rosti
- Peel or just clean your potatoes, and plonk them in a saucepan.
- Add boiling water to cover the potatoes, then simmer for approx 10 minutes.
- Sieve the potatoes, then leave them to cool down.
- Chop your spring greens or cabbage into small manageable portions.
- Drop the spring greens or cabbage into boiling water for approx 3 min, then sieve.
- Let the potatoes cool down, and grate them into a bowl with the more coarse side of an ordinary cheese grater.
- Add a good few twists of sea salt and cracked black pepper, then grate the cheese in and add the cabbage or your choice of greens. Using 2 forks, without mashing it all up, gently shake the mix or gently fork it together.
- Gently assemble the mix with your hands into 8 equal burger shaped rostis.
- Once you have pressed them into your burger shapes, dust them with flour.
- Optional: During stage 7 of the pattie preparation you can add a chopped caramelised onion and a tablespoon of curry powder as an indian twist to this lovely dish.
Cooking the Patties
- To cook the rostis, pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C).
- Place the baking tray on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Melt the butter and add the olive oil, then brush the rostis on both sides with the butter oil mix.
- When the oven has reached temperature, place the rostis on the baking tray and return it to the top shelf of the oven for 15 to 17 minutes, then turn the rostis over and cook them for a further 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve them up with a meat of your choice and enjoy.