Tasty and Healthy Cake
The winter season is the perfect time to enjoy a warm slice of spiced cake, fresh out of the oven. The spices provide much-needed warmth, which is welcomed in the cold weather. Carrots and oranges, both of which are plentiful in winter, provide rich flavour and colour in this vegan and low-sugar dessert.
This recipe replaces eggs with sunflower oil. The use of maple syrup instead of sugar provides additional moisture to the batter.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 5 min
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground spice mixture (e.g., cinnamon, cloves, dried ginger, green cardamom, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons chopped orange peel
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Wash the carrots thoroughly and grate them.
- Peel the orange, and finely chop the peel. Microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
- The spice mixture can be a combination of cinnamon, cloves, dried ginger, green cardamom, or any other spice of your choice. Combine and grind the spices.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly and evenly. Pour the prepared batter in the cake mould or pan of your choice. I used a heart-shaped mould.
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees C and then bake for 35 to 40 minutes (time may vary by oven). The cake is ready when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Decorate the cake according to your personal choice. I like it without any sugar icing. My preferred decorations are grated coconut and walnuts or sliced almonds.
© 2020 Chitrangada Sharan