Spicy Spinach and Chickpea Curry or Palak Chole Recipe
Some Information About Making Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas) Curry
Garbanzo beans curry (chole) is a popular side dish served with flatbread and pancakes in restaurants. This curry is spicy, tangy, flavorful, and nutritious. It is made by cooking garbanzo beans (chickpeas) with onion, tomato, green chilies, ginger, and several spice powders.
Spicy spinach and chickpeas curry (Palak chole) is the improved and healthier version of the original chickpeas curry. Plenty of spinach is added to a mix of garbanzo beans, other veggies, and spices to make this yummy side dish. Let me share the detailed recipe.
- 2 bowls spinach(palak), washed and finely chopped
- 1 cup garbanzo beans(chickpeas), soaked in water for 10 hours or overnight and cooked
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chole masala powder, Available in Indian stores, alternatively you can use garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder, optional, add only if needed for spiciness
- 1 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar, optional, I used to balance the taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
Some Important Tips:
1. Be careful while adding salt. You are adding it in portions in many steps. See that the curry should not become salty.
2. Cook garbanzo beans till they become soft and at least a few should break. For quick cooking, add a few drops of oil to it.
3. Cook garbanzo beans with just sufficient water for immersing them completely.
4. Don't make the curry too dry. It becomes thicker when cools down.
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Spicy Spinach and Chickpeas Curry
- Cook soaked garbanzo beans(chickpeas) with water, a few drops of oil, and some salt. If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, cook up to 5-6 whistles and simmer for 15 minutes to get the perfectly cooked chickpeas. Mash it a little or break a few beans, so that the gravy gets thickness. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan. Add chopped onion, ginger, and slit green chilies. Saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Throw chopped tomato into the pan. Cook till they become a little mushy. Add chopped spinach(palak). Continue stir cooking for a while till spinach becomes soft. This may take about 5-6 minutes on low fire.
- Add chole masala powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Continue stir cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour cooked chickpeas. Mix well. Boil the mix for 4-5 minutes covering the pan. By this time, the gravy becomes thick. Check for salt. Add salt if needed. Turn off the fire.
- Spicy spinach and chickpeas curry is ready to serve. Serve it with roti, chapati, flatbread, or less spicy fried rice. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Spicy Spinach and Chickpeas Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 37 g||12%|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Sodium 390 mg||16%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|