Super Easy Burrito Bowl
If I had to pick one meal to eat for the rest of my life, it may as well be a burrito bowl. Easy! I realize this question is totally hypothetical, and that this is a fairly bold statement to make but for a good reason. Do you ever wonder which dish you would pick if you had to eat it for the rest of your life? Today’s recipe will be a real treat, as this burrito bowl will have your taste buds craving more, and your body thanking you for such a balanced, nourishing meal.
This dish is my go-to lunch lately. I love food in one bowl, so I thought it would only be fitting to share this recipe with you. Every bite is an explosion of flavours– primarily greens, spicy salsa, buttery guacamole, crunchy corn, and satisfying black beans topped with zesty lime juice! But perhaps the most wonderful thing is that you can add any of your favourite ingredients: vegetables, herbs, spices, or anything else you like! So here we are with a gluten-free, vegetarian, protein-packed meal that is simple, clean, and easy to prepare!
- 1/2 Cup rice
- 1 Cup (250 ml) corn kernels
- 1 Cup (250 ml) black beans, ready-to-use
- 2 Cups salad greens (use either shredded romaine lettuce, butter lettuce, cabbage)
- 1/2 Green pepper, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 Cup salsa
- 1/4 Cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Lime
- Rice: Cook rice as per package instructions.
- Vegetable/Bean Mix: In a sauté pan over medium temperature, heat oil and sauté green pepper slices and corn for 2 minutes. Add black beans, paprika, and jalapeno pepper, and heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and mix in cilantro and the juice of 1 lime.
- Assembly: In a bowl, layer starting from the base: 1 cup of salad greens, ½ cup cooked rice, 1 cup vegetable/bean mix, 2 tablespoons yogurt, 2 tablespoons salsa, avocado slices.