Easy Sauteed Kale With Vegan Walnut Parmesan
This recipe is my favorite go-to dish on busy weeknights because it is a snap to whip up. Overall prep and cook time is about 7 minutes—and the ingredients could not be simpler.
About the Kale
Kale is a nutritional powerhouse, which makes it a staple in most vegan kitchens. It is extremely high in vitamin K, vitamin A, and vitamin C, and it has loads of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients. It is definitely one of my favorite vegetables and one I've really been enjoying experimenting with lately.
You can absolutely use any kind of kale you wish. My preference is lacinato (dinosaur) kale because I like its earthy flavor. I've made this for my family, and they prefer the curly kale because it isn't quite so bitter. It's all up to your own palate, so use what you like best!
The vegan Parmesan is an optional part of this dish, but I highly recommend adding it. Not only does the nutritional yeast give the dish a wonderful cheesy flavor, but it also contains the B12 that us vegans require to stay healthy. The combination of the Parm and kale is reminiscent of kale chips and is quite delightful alongside any meal.
Don't Forget the White Wine!
If you don't have Riesling, that is totally fine. You can just use any other white wine you may have on hand. However, I should stress that this ingredient is not an optional component of this recipe, trust me. I've made it without the wine before, and it is so disappointing. The wine really adds body and depth that just can't be created any other way, so please don't leave it out.
When cooking with any alcohol, the heat actually evaporates all of the alcohol and leaves behind the flavor of whatever you were using. So whichever wine you choose, be sure it's something you would drink—and please, don't use cooking wine. It is a sad, sad thing, and it will ruin your food.
Give Creamed Kale a Try
This recipe is equally delicious as a creamed version. Just add a couple tablespoons of cashew cream to the kale at the end of its cooking time, just enough to heat it through. Now you have a luscious new side dish to pair with your meal!
For the Kale:
- 4 ounces (113 grams) kale, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Riesling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons avocado oil
- Pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
For the Vegan Walnut Parmesan:
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- To make the vegan walnut Parmesan, add the second set of ingredients into a blender and blitz until no large chunks remain. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add in the kale and immediately turn to high heat. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Quickly add the Riesling and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point the kale is finished, and it should have a beautiful bright green color and still have a bit of bite to it. Do not overcook!
- Plate up the kale and top with the vegan walnut Parmesan. Enjoy!
© 2019 Melanie