The Best Vegan Lasagna Ever
Until I became a vegan, I never ever ate lasagna in my life. Strange and not so. I became a vegetarian at the age of 13 and was never really a meat lover. All I knew at the time was ala bolognese lasagna. So the first vegan lasagna that I made was vegan bolognese lasagna. It was really good, really strong taste, cheesy. I have made it with soy. After a while, I got tired of it (well I wasn't really eating it a lot, but still, I wanted something new).
In one book, I accidentally found a recipe for a vegetable lasagna. Yeah, I had to try that! And it was great. Also strong taste and saturated. However, I still do it once a month to satisfy my taste buds a bit. I experiment with different amounts of certain lasagna layer. I must say I always put some more than it should be. I promise, next time it will be more lasagna and fewer vegetables and cheese.
Please try; it takes time, but it is really delicious!
In the making ...Click thumbnail to view full-size
- 200 - 500 g spinach or mangel, steamed and squeezed dry
- 250 g firm tofu, crumbled and drained
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pepper (red)
- 2 courgettes
- 500 - 700 ml tomato sauce
- lasagne sheets
- 100 - 250 g vegan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon or more sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoon or more sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- basil, fresh if have
- oregano, fresh if have
- Wash and cook/steam the spinach (for max. 3 minutes). Let it cool down. Chop or blend it till smooth (depends on what you prefer). Mix it with the tofu. Add salt and pepper (if using).
- Wash and cut the pepper and courgettes into matchsticks. You can use green or red pepper, but red makes the recipe better. Heat the oil and saute the pepper and courgette strips over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Prepare tomato sauce - you can use home-made or bought. Add oregano, basil, salt and little oil in the sauce. Now you have prepared all three ingredients for the lasagne layers (tomato, spinach, pepper-courgette).
- Put some oil in a baking dish. Spoon a layer of tomato sauce into it - first layer. Cover this with a layer of lasagne, then the tofu and spinach mixture, and courgette and pepper strips. Sprinkle with vegan cheese.
- Repeat the layers (until you run out of them). Then sprinkle the sunflower and sesame seeds and the yeast flakes if using, over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes at 180°C.
Use the amount of certain ingredient as it serves you - depends on that you prefer, richer layers or more lasagna, more or less cheesy taste, strong or weak taste, ...
Best served with green salad.
Good warm or cold.