Veg Kheema Masala Recipe (With Soya Granules)
This vegetarian kheema masala dish is made with soya granules instead of meat. Simple to make and very flavorful, the dish also contains peas and aromatic spices.
This curry pairs best with naan, although you can also serve it with roti, paratha, or even rice. It is a very healthy dish with all the goodness and health benefits of soybeans. For non-meat eaters, it is a high-protein vegetarian option for a main course.
- 2 tbsp desi ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 1/2 cups soya granules
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 onion, medium sized, pureed
- 2 tomatoes, medium sized, pureed
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sendha namak (rock salt or table salt)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, or 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp meat masala (optional)
- 1 liter water, for boiling the soya granules
- 400 ml water, for the gravy
- Boil the soya granules. Pour 1 liter of water in a wok. Keep the heat on high and let the water come to a rolling boil. Add the soya granules.
- On medium heat, boil for 5 minutes, until the soya granules are soft. Remove from heat and strain. Wash well under running water until they are nice and clean and devoid of smell. Set aside.
- Prepare the masala now. Add the clarified butter to a pan. Keep the heat on medium and let it melt.
- Add onion puree to pan. Saute until they turn light pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and chopped green chili. Saute until the mixture turns medium brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree to the pan and cook until the masala leaves oil, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in all the spices: coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, salt, and meat masala. You can skip the meat masala if you wish. Cook for 1/2 a minute and keep stirring.
- Add the boiled soya granules and green peas. Stir and continue cooking until the granules turn brown, about 7-10 minutes. Raise or lower the heat as needed.
- Raise heat to high and add 400 ml water as well 2 tbsp cilantro. Mix well. You may add more or less water depending on the consistency of the gravy you like. Let the water come to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Plate the dish, garnish with the remaining cilantro, and serve with naan, roti, or paratha.
Veg Kheema Masala Recipe (Soya Granules Recipe)
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly