Vegan Apple Pie Recipe
It's Pie Time!
The moment someone says "apple pie," I get this beautiful image of a delicious golden-brown slice with cinnamon-flavored apples oozing out, and vanilla ice cream on the side. Today, I’ll be helping you achieve this by sharing a recipe that my mother taught me. Whenever I make it, it’s gobbled up within a few hours. It's a favorite in our house, for sure, and it's an idiot-proof recipe—trust me!
It’s vegan and eggless, but you could easily substitute butter for the oil.
For the crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oil (any type is ok; I used vegetable refined oil)
- 1/3 cup water, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- A few drops of milk to top the crust (any type of milk is ok)
For the filling:
- 2 medium-sized apples, peeled and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (any type)
- Oil or melted butter to coat the crust filling
- A few drops of vanilla essence
Step 1: Make the Dough
- Mix all the dry ingredients together: whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and salt.
- Add the oil and mix it with the flour evenly with your fingers to get a breadcrumb-like texture. This would give a flaky texture to the crust.
- Add water to bind the whole thing together. Just lightly mix together to form a dough. Don't apply too much pressure cause as overdoing the dough can cause problems to the structure.
- Allow your dough to chill for about 30 minutes before working with it. This will prevent the dough from sticking to both the rolling pin and the workspace.
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
- Peel the apple skin and slice it into small pieces.
- Add the cinnamon powder, brown sugar, vanilla essence, and whole wheat flour to the apples and mix it well. Make sure the apples are coated completely.
- Preheat your oven at 180 C.
- Grease your pie pan with some oil.
Step 3: Roll Out the Dough and Assemble the Pie
- Divide your dough into two equal parts.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the divided parts of the dough.
- Gently lift and settle one of the rolled out parts into the pan (which needs to be greased).
- Press the dough towards the bottom and on the edges.
- Toss the apple pieces equally on the bottom pie crust
- Add a few drops of butter/ oil on them.
Finish the pie with the top crust (the second piece of rolled dough) and fold the edges of the top crust over and under the bottom edges (to seal them together).
- Poke the top crust with a knife all around to create vents that would allow for the steam to pass out during baking. You can also create 4-5 big vents in the middle with a knife.
- Glaze the top crust with some milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon powder. The milk will give an amazing brownish-golden color to the crust.
Step 4: Bake and Enjoy
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes. We need the crust to be crisp and have a golden color. The time can vary according to your oven, so please keep an eye on it.
- Cool on a wire rack. Voila, there's your apple pie.
Tips and Tricks for Beginners
- You can add flour to the rolling pin to prevent everything from sticking.
- Use a rolling pin to transfer the dough pieces to the pan: Gently place the pin on one side, roll the dough onto the pin, and spread it out on your pan by doing the vice-versa.
- You can use a fork to crimp out the edges of the pie crust to beautify it.
- Bake it in the middle rack of your oven.
An apple a day, keeps the doctor away, right? I personally just end up eating it without any accompaniments half the time, but here are some ways you can make it look fancy:
- I think the most classic way to serve your pie is with ice cream. Vanilla ice cream complements it the best, in my opinion.
- A nice frothy whipped cream with vanilla essence plopped on the pie is another American classic way.
Happy pie eating!
© 2020 PGupta0919