For 30 years, I have been vegetarian and mostly vegan. I've learned to create tasty vegan recipes to appeal to my family of 7.
Trent and his family, from Tulsa, Oklahoma, recently became vegetarian. Trent likes his new, healthy way of eating and enjoys learning to bake. Muffins are one of his favorite breakfast choices. Even though these muffins are not too sweet, Trent loved them—in fact, he devoured them. He is looking forward to coming up with new vegan recipes for me to put on this site. So, try these and let me know what you think.
The first batch of muffins we made, shown in the video, were a little too heavy, so we adjusted the ingredients a little. For the recipe below, the batter will be thinner than shown in the video. The other change was to spray the muffin tins (or use non-stick tins) rather than use cupcake papers. Our first batch of muffins stuck to the paper.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 cups pastry flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, (oatmeal)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk, non-dairy, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg's worth of egg replacer
- 3/4 cup raisins
- spray oil, coconut
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Stir in all of the wet ingredients. Increase sweetness according to your taste.
- Spray the muffin tins. Spoon the mix into the tins, making each about 3/4 full. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a knife put into the center comes out clean.
- Wait a few minutes before placing the muffins onto a plate to serve, plain or with margarine.
- NOTE: Do not use the cupcake paper cups as shown in the photos and video. That did not turn out well.
Beverly Jean (author) from Denton on June 12, 2017:
Thanks for the comment. I think the trend is towards less sweet bakery items at some of the trend following places, at least that's what I've found. Enjoy your muffins!
Lena Durante from San Francisco Bay Area on June 12, 2017:
My main complaint with most muffins is that they are too sweet, so this recipe sounds great for me. I would probably use butter, honey and a whole egg, since I'm not vegan and that's what I have in the pantry!