Vegan Blueberry Oatmeal Crisp
My family's favorite dessert, hands down, has to be my blueberry oatmeal crisp. On a recent month-long trip to visit friends and relatives in Florida, I was asked to make this numerous times. The first night I made a double batch, and I didn't get any because it was all gone by the time I finished my dinner! Everyone asked me to please make it again the next night. So, I made a triple batch the next evening and got some myself this time. I then made it again for a 4th of July cookout with 120+ people, and it was a huge hit. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!
For the Filling:
- 6 cups blueberries*
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar*
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans or almonds, chopped (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a 2-quart baking dish with no stick.
- Make the filling: Toss the blueberries, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Make the topping: Combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, nuts, cinnamon, and salt in a separate bowl. Mix the coconut oil into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Scatter the topping over the blueberry mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 45 to 50 minutes. Brown under a broiler for 2-3 mins if desired. Let cool slightly before serving.
* Chef's notes:
- I have used frozen and fresh blueberries successfully. Personally, I prefer frozen because the fresh blueberries tend to get a little bit on the mushy side when you are mixing them.
- I use morena pure cane sugar. I usually pick this up from our local Aldi grocery store. Feel free to use turbinado, coconut, or a different type of sugar if you prefer.
- I recommend unbleached all purpose flour.
- I have to admit it's fabulous served with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.