Vegan Breakfast Scramble With Pesto and Walnut Parmesan
From Mundane to Mouthwatering
I have made plenty of tofu scrambles in my day, and I have to say that for the most part, I think they're pretty boring. Sauté the veggies, crumble the tofu, add the seasoning, blah blah blah. It's all the same stuff usually, and let's be real—it's pretty lame. I mean, I still eat them 'cause a girl's gotta stay healthy, but I almost always think of other things I should have made while I'm sitting there eating my scramble.
When I was on keto for that one month (I know, right?), I bought this jar of vegan pesto because, hey why not? It was high in fat and a significant improvement flavor-wise from what I was eating during that time. As excited as I was to indulge myself, I never actually ate it because I couldn't get past the konjac noodles that I bought to accompany it. If you've tried them, you know—the texture is just beyond weird.
Regardless, I still had that jar of pesto sitting around for the longest time, and it only occurred to me a couple of weeks ago to try adding into my morning scramble. I had some mushrooms and spinach in my fridge, so I just followed my whims and ended up with the most amazing tofu scramble ever.
I have been eating this very thing every single morning since the day I created it and have not gotten sick of it yet. It is so filled with flavor, and I love that it's such a well-rounded meal. I have to say as a disclaimer, I work out a lot and I have a huge appetite, especially in the morning. So if you're not into having big breakfasts, this may be a large-ish portion for you. If that's the case, you can certainly save half of it for the next day, but the spinach may be overcooked after a second heating.
However, if you are like me, I recommend enjoying this scramble alongside half of a grapefruit, and a slice of Feldkamp's Fitness Bread. I mention the grapefruit because it's important to have foods high in Vitamin C along with foods high in Iron as it helps increase your body absorb the iron better. I mention the bread simply because it's delicious, and if you haven't had it you're definitely missing out!
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 213 grams (7.5 ounces) tofu, crumbled
- 125 grams (or 4-5 medium) button mushrooms, sliced
- 65 grams (about 4-5) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30 grams (1 handful) fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons vegan pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons walnut parmesan
- salt, to taste
- pepperoncini, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the mushrooms along with the salt. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until they are entirely cooked through.
- Crumble in the tofu using your hands. Add in the garlic powder and give everything a good stir. Let the tofu sit for a few minutes at a time to help "crisp" it up just a bit. Scrape the tofu off the pan and give it a stir. Any tofu that gets left on the pan will generally burn, so try to get as much off as possible. Cook the tofu, repeating this process, for about 5 minutes or until most of the moisture is gone.
- Turn off the heat and add in the tomatoes, pesto, and spinach. Stir until the spinach is cooked through and entirely wilted.
- Serve up your tofu scramble and top it with the walnut parmesan and pepperoncini if desired. Enjoy!
If you are not a fan of mushrooms, spinach, or tomatoes, feel free to substitute any Mediterranean vegetables or even some olives. I think that this scramble also tastes great with some added kalamata olives, artichokes, zucchini, yellow squash, shallots, or some roasted red bell peppers. If you still want some greens but don't like spinach, try some kale, Swiss chard, or arugula instead. Experiment and find what works for you!
Photo GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
Recipe for Vegan Walnut Parmesan
- Easy Sauteed Kale With Vegan Walnut Parmesan
Delicious, healthy, and easy, this recipe captures all of my favorite things! This is my favorite go-to dish on busy weeknights because it is a snap to whip up. Total prep and cook time is about 7 minutes, and the ingredients could not be simpler.
© 2020 Melanie