Vegan Choco-Orange Muffins
Yes, I admit. We had a muffin week. We were baking muffins almost every day. First, it was to try the recipes. Then we had some guests. And muffins were so good, we just needed some more. And the thrill of experimenting was also there, so it was really a must. So yeah, a muffin week. It doesn't sound so bad, does it?
A friend texted me, asking for orange-chocolate muffins. It sounded great. But most recipes called for egg and buttermilk, so it was the time to find vegan variation. It wasn't hard at all. The egg I just didn't use, and I have tried oat cream instead of the buttermilk. I wasn't complicated, and the recipe turned out really yummy!
I was experimenting a little with the recipe; one time, I used oat milk with a grated orange peel (which I bought), other time orange juice, and the third time I didn't have oranges, so I tried mandarin juice.
All variants were great, but the one with freshly squeezed mandarin juice (with mandarin pulp) and a little bit of grated orange peel and candied oranges was the best!
So, let's start - you will need:
- 280 g flour, of any kind
- 80 - 100 g candied orange peels, well-chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 100 g sugar, or other sweetener
- 80 ml vegetable oil, (olive)
- 100 ml orange or mandarin juice, or more
- 200 g oat cream
- a bit of grated orange peel
- 70 - 100 g chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- Mix the flour with candied orange peel, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In other bowl mix sugar, oil, orange (or mandarin) juice, oat cream and a bit of grated orange peel.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips or cut the chocolate into small pieces and add it to the dough. Mix well so that you get a firm, nice mass (not too liquid, not too hard).
- Fill the muffin cups - not to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 °C.
- Decorate with slices of orange or in some other way (or don't decorate at all - they are tasty even without decoration!)
© 2017 Ksenija