Vegan Curries: Baby Corn & Vegetable Kadhai Recipe
Indian cuisine features a lot of different types of flatbread. Making spicy side dishes that go well with these flatbreads that are otherwise bland is a continuous challenge. Baby corn veg kadhai is a popular, flavorful curry that's served at home, as well as at restaurants.
Most of the spices and herbs used in making this curry are nutritious, and they add flavor to the curry. I added bell pepper, carrots, an onion, and fresh peas to my version, along with fresh baby corn. The cashew nuts used in the gravy give the dish a distinct thickness and a rich taste.
- 1 cup baby corn, cut slender, lengthwise
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut slender, lengthwise
- 1/4 cup bell pepper/capsicum, cut slender, lengthwise
- a fistful fresh/frozen peas
- 1/8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut, grated
- a fistful cashew nuts
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder, available in Indian stores. I used Everest Garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder, also called as Amchur powder- available in Indian stores
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder, or 4 red chilis
- 1/2 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- a few peppercorns, optional, for added flavor and spiciness
- 1/2 tsp sugar, for taste
- 2 tbsp oil
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Baby Corn Veg Kadhai
- Parboil chopped baby corn and the carrots in water, adding a little salt.
- Take coconut, cashews, ginger, garlic, red chili, peppercorns, and Garam masala powder in a mixer/grinder. Grind to make a smooth paste by adding water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Kadhai. Throw chopped onion and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped capsicum and fresh peas. Cook for one minute. Add chopped tomato. Cook till it turns mushy.
- Pour parboiled baby corn and carrot into the kadhai. Stir fry the contents for two minutes. You can cover the kadhai occasionally.
- Add the ground mix. Dry fry on low fire, till cashew nut and spices start emitting a nice smell. Add salt, sugar, and sufficient water. Mix well. Boil for 3-4 minutes on low fire. Baby corn veg kadhai is ready.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander. Enjoy eating hot curry with any type of flatbread or with boiled long-grain rice.