Vegan Curries: Baby Corn and Vegetable Kadhai Recipe
Indian cuisine features a lot of different types of flatbread. Making spicy side dishes that go well with these flatbreads that are otherwise bland is a continuous challenge. Baby corn vegetable kadhai is a popular, flavorful curry that's served at home, as well as at restaurants.
Most of the spices and herbs used in making this curry are nutritious, and they add flavor to the curry. I added bell pepper, carrots, an onion, and fresh peas to my version, along with fresh baby corn. The cashew nuts used in the gravy give the dish a distinct thickness and a rich taste.
- 1 cup baby corn, cut slender, lengthwise
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut slender, lengthwise
- 1/4 cup bell pepper/capsicum, cut slender, lengthwise
- a fistful fresh/frozen peas
- 1/8 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut, grated
- a fistful cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder, available in Indian stores (I used Everest Garam masala powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder (also called Amchur powder), available in Indian stores
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, or 4 red chilis
- 1/2 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing
- a few peppercorns, optional, for added flavor and spiciness
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, for taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Parboil the chopped baby corn and carrots in water, adding a little salt.
- Place coconut, cashews, ginger, garlic, , peppercorns, and Garam masala powder in a mixer/grinder. Grind to make a smooth paste by adding water. Keep aside. red chili
- Heat oil in a Kadhai. Throw in the chopped onion and saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add chopped capsicum and fresh peas. Cook for one minute. Add chopped tomato. Cook till it turns mushy.
- Pour parboiled baby corn and carrot into the kadhai. Stir-fry the contents for two minutes. You can cover the kadhai occasionally.
- Add the ground mix. Dry-fry on low fire till the cashew nuts and spices start emitting a nice smell. Add salt, sugar, and sufficient water. Mix well. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes on low fire. The baby corn veg kadhai is ready.
- Transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander. Enjoy eating hot curry with any type of flatbread or with boiled long-grain rice.