Snake Gourd and Dehusked Split Mung Bean Curry (Vegan)
The main ingredients for this curry are mung dal, snake gourd, jaggery, green chili, cumin seeds, and grated coconut. It is somewhat sweet and less spicy than most curries and has a nice flavor because of the mung dal and snake gourd.
Needless to say, it is a healthy curry. If you look at the ingredients, it is obvious that it's nutritious. It goes well with cooked rice. Sometimes, you can eat a few spoons of it, just like that. This curry is a good choice for the summer months due to its cooling effect on the body.
- 1 1/2 cups snake gourd, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup dehusked split mung bean or mung dal (also known as Moong dal)
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1/4 cup jaggery
- 2 green chilies
- 2 pinches hing/asafoetida powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, for tempering
- 1 teaspoon ghee or oil, for tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for tempering
- 1/2 teaspoon dehusked split black gram (also known as Urad dal)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white rice, raw
- You can also make this curry without adding the split mung bean. However, the add a rich texture and flavor to this curry. Moreover, they are good for your health. split mung beans
- Adding some raw white rice while grinding the ingredients helps thicken the gravy. Instead of grinding the rice grains, you can even add some rice powder for a similar effect.
- Wash snake gourd. Remove the seeds. Cut the gourd in small cubes.
- Wash dehusked split mung beans. Combine it with chopped snake gourd. Add some water and cook till they are done. It may take about 8 minutes in a pressure cooker. Keep aside.
- Take grated coconut, white rice, green chili, and cumin seeds in a grinder/mixer. Grind, adding water to get a near smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Transfer boiled split mung bean and snake gourd mix into a vessel. Add ground mix, powdered jaggery, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat the vessel, bring it to boil. Keep the fire low, as mung bean split has a tendency to burn in the bottom. Occasionally stir it. Adjust the consistency by adding water. This curry should be medium thick. Boil it for 5 to 6 minutes on low fire. Turn off the stove. Keep aside.
- Now, it's time for tempering the curry. Heat ghee or oil in a hand pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw curry leaves and hing powder into it. Mix once. Turn off the fire. Pour this tempering on the curry.
- Mix the tempering with the curry while serving.
- Enjoy eating this curry with boiled rice or use it as a side during meals.
Nutritional Information for Snake Gourd and Dehusked Mung Bean Split Curry
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|