Vegan Curry Recipes: How to Make Mixed Vegetable Curry(Saagu)
A Curry Called "Saagu"
Saagu is a mixed vegetable curry that is made using special ingredients. Fresh spices and herbs are used in the curry to ensure the finest taste and aroma. Fried gram and cashews (optional) are used in this recipe to make the gravy thick and rich.
This curry goes well with Roti, Poori, Semolina Idli, flatbreads, and also with spicy rice.
- 1/2 cup potato, cut in small cubes
- 1/6 cup carrot, cut in small cubes
- 1/6 cup capsicum, cut in small cubes
- a fistful fresh peas or frozen
- 1/6 cup cauliflower, optional, sometimes I use
- 1/6 cup French beans, cut in small pieces
- 1/6 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/6 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 8-10 cashews, optional, for the gravy
- 1/6 cup fried gram, for the gravy
- 1/4 cup grated coconut, for the gravy
- 2 cloves garlic, for the gravy
- 1/2 inch cinnamon, for the gravy
- 3 cloves, for the gravy
- 1/4 inch ginger, for the gravy
- 3 green chili, for the gravy
- 1 1/4 tbsp oil, for the gravy
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the gravy
- 8 curry leaves, for the gravy
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, for the gravy, as per taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar, for the gravy, as per taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice or tamarind juice or dry mango powder, as per taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, for the gravy
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the gravy
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped, for the gravy
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions for Making Mixed Vegetable Curry (Saagu)
- Keep ready all the vegetables, cut them as per instruction.
- Grind coconut, ginger, garlic, green chili, cloves, cinnamon, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cashew nut, coriander leaves (mainly for the color), and fried gram to get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/pan. Throw mustard seeds. Let it pop up. Add chopped onion. Saute till it looks translucent.
- Add all vegetables, except tomato and capsicum. You can add some water while cooking. Cover the lid.
- Cook for 8 minutes or till they are almost cooked. Add capsicum and tomato. Throw salt and sugar. Mix it occasionally. Cook for two more minutes.
- Pour ground masala(paste). Lower the fire. Mix well, so that, spices properly blend with the vegetables. Add water and adjust the gravy consistency. It should be neither thick nor thin. Pour tamarind/lemon juice or dry mango powder. Let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Mix once again. Check for taste. Adjust according to your tongue.
- Finally, drop curry leaves. Put off the fire. Mix well. Transfer the content to a serving bowl. Mixed vegetable curry(Saagu) is ready to serve.
- Serve with any kind of flatbread, rice, or poori. Enjoy the yummy taste!
- You can use any vegetables of your choice for making this curry. However, using potato is a must.
- Don't boil the curry for a long time. Otherwise, the curry may become thicker due to the fried gram and cashews in it.
Nutritional Information of Mixed Vegetable Curry (Saagu)
|Serving size: 1/2 cup(one serving)|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 19 g||6%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 654 mg||27%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|