Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
A Spicy Vegan Curry for Your Lunch Box!
I like to make a spicy fenugreek and vegetable curry as a to-go meal that works well in a lunch box. One of the reasons this dish packs well is that the flavors are wonderful even at room temperature.
When cooking with fresh fenugreek leaves, you need to be careful because they tend to be a little bitter when combined with water. Once you wash the leaves, pat them dry and do not add any water to the curry. This way, you will not notice any bitterness from the fenugreek in the final dish.
Now, let me share the recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 1 heaped bowl chopped mixed vegetables, (e.g., carrot, beans, cabbage, and capsicum)
- 1 bowl fenugreek leaves, washed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/6 teaspoon or less dry mango powder/amchur powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/6 teaspoon or less sugar, optional (I used it to balance the taste)
- salt to taste
- 1/6 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Wash fenugreek leaves and pat them dry. Chop the leaves and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped garlic and ginger. Saute until you get a nice aroma of roasted garlic.
- Add chopped onions. Continue sauteing until they become translucent.
- Add chopped veggies. Throw in some salt. Stir-cook them for 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato. Continue stir-cooking for a while. By this time, veggies should be almost tender.
- Throw in chopped fenugreek leaves. Cook with the other veggies for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Now, throw in spice powders one by one. Add turmeric, red chili, garam masala, coriander, and amchur. Add sugar and salt. Mix them.
- Keep the heat very low. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the stove. Your vegan fenugreek and vegetable curry is ready!
- Serve it with flatbread, roti, or chapati. You can use it as a side dish for any type of meal. Enjoy the flavor.