Vegan Fenugreek and Vegetable Curry Recipe
A Spicy Vegan Curry for Your Lunchbox!
I like to make a spicy fenugreek and vegetable curry as a to-go meal that works well in a lunch box. One of the reasons this dish packs well is that the flavors are wonderful even at room temperature.
When cooking with fresh fenugreek leaves, you need to be careful because they tend to be a little bitter when combined with water. Once you wash the leaves, pat them dry and do not add any water to the curry. This way, you will not notice any bitterness of the fenugreek in the final dish.
Now, let me share the recipe with you.
- 1 heaped bowl chopped mixed vegetables, (e.g., carrot, beans, cabbage, and capsicum)
- 1 bowl fenugreek leaves, washed, pat-dried
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/6 tsp or less dry mango powder/amchur powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/6 tsp or less sugar, optional, I used to balance the taste
- salt to taste
- 1/6 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash fenugreek leaves and pat them dry. Chop the leaves and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped garlic and ginger. Saute until you get a nice aroma of roasted garlic.
- Add chopped onions. Continue sauteing until they become translucent.
- Add chopped veggies. Throw in some salt. Stir-cook them for 4-5 minutes. Add tomato. Continue stir-cooking for a while. By this time, veggies should be almost tender.
- Throw in chopped fenugreek leaves. Cook with the other veggies for about 4-5 minutes.
- Now, throw in spice powders one by one. Add turmeric, red chili, garam masala, coriander, and amchur. Add sugar and salt. Mix them.
- Keep the heat very low. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the stove. Your vegan fenugreek and vegetable curry is ready!
- Serve it with flatbread, roti, or chapati. You can use it as a side dish for any type of meal. Enjoy the flavor.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 22 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|