Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives or artificial colors.
A Spicy and Tangy Side Dish
Knol-khol (kohlrabi) is one of my favorite vegetables. I like its crunchiness, which is truly delightful. It is a low-calorie, low-fat, cholesterol-free veggie, and it has ample amounts of fiber and vitamins. This mildly sweet vegetable blends well with the spices and other veggies in this dish.
Making this curry was simple and quick. This is a hot and spicy curry that tickles your taste buds. Serve this side dish with roti, fried rice, chapati, or any other flatbread. Enjoy the spiciness!
Let me now share the step-by-step recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 3 people
- 1 medium-sized bowl knol-khol (kohlrabi), washed, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon subzi masala powder, or any garam masala powder, available in Indian stores.
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt, or as per taste
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the sourness of tomatoes.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons oil
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds. Saute till they sizzle.
- Add chopped ginger, green chilies, and onions. Saute till onions turn transparent.
- Throw in diced knol-khol. Add some salt. Stir-cook them for 5 to 6 minutes on high heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add all the spice powders, such as turmeric powder, subzi masala powder or garam masala powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Saute on low heat for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups of water. Throw in remaining salt. Add sugar (optional). Mix well.
- Cover the pan. Stir it occasionally. Let the mix come to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Now, your favorite knol-khol tomato gravy curry is ready to serve! Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves. This side dish has semi-solid consistency.
- Serve it with hot roti, flatbread, fried rice, or chapati. Enjoy dunking the flatbread into this creamy gravy curry. Happy eating!