Vegan Knol-Khol (Kohlrabi) Tomato Gravy Curry
A Spicy and Tangy Side Dish
Knol-khol (kohlrabi) is one of my favorite vegetables. I like its crunchiness. It is low-calorie, low-fat, cholesterol-free veggie. It has abundant amounts of fiber and vitamins. This mildly sweet vegetable blends well with the spices and other veggies.
Making this curry was simple and quick. This is a hot and spicy curry that tickles your taste buds. The crunchiness of knol-khol is truly delightful. Serve this side dish with roti, fried rice, chapati, or any flat bread. Enjoy the spiciness!
Let me now share the step-by-step recipe with you.
- 1 medium-sized bowl knol-khol, washed, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp subzi masala powder, or any garam masala powder, available in Indian stores.
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the sourness of tomatoes.
- 2-3 tsp oil
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Vegan Knol-khol (kohlrabi) Tomato Gravy Curry
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds. Saute till they sizzle.
- Add chopped ginger, green chilies, and onions. Saute till onions turn transparent.
- Throw in diced knol-khol. Add some salt. Stir-cook them for 5-6 minutes on high heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Continue cooking till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add all the spice powders, such as turmeric powder, subzi masala powder or garam masala powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Saute on low heat for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups of water. Throw in remaining salt. Add sugar(optional). Mix well.
- Cover the pan. Stir it occasionally. Let the mix come to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Now, your favorite knol-khol tomato gravy curry is ready to serve! Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves. This side dish has semi-solid consistency.
- Serve it with hot roti, flatbread, fried rice, or chapati. Enjoy dunking the flatbread into this creamy gravy curry. Happy eating!
Nutritional Information of Knol-khol (kohlrabi) Tomato Gravy Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 10 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|