Vegan Lemon-Orange Cranberry Muffins
Becoming a Vegan and Gaining Confidence With Recipes
It was easy to switch to veganism after 19 years of vegetarianism. It was the only logical step. I still don't know why it didn't happen sooner, but ok, it happened.
For my transition, my friend gave me a book called Vegan Yum Yum (by author Lauren Ulm). As usual, I was only making the easiest recipes from the book at the beginning. I was kind of afraid of the more difficult ones. One of the easier ones was the recipe for lemon cranberry muffins. Over the years, I became more and more confident, so every time I make these muffins now, I add in some new ingredients and subtract some of the ingredients I don't have (or just don't want to use at that moment).
What Will We Put in the Muffins Today?
So, today my girls and I decided that it's muffin time again. We searched the kitchen and prepared ingredients that seemed like good matches for today's experiment.
We didn't have enough oat milk, so we added water. We found some candied oranges that looked yummy, so why not use them in muffins? We had flour, sugar, and lemons. So, great, let's make lemon-orange muffins, and for the base of the recipe, we used the lemon cranberry recipe. And, yes, we had cranberries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (or any other)
- 1/2 cup sugar, (unrefined cane or coconut)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- zest from orange (or lemon), half or one
- 1 cup vegan milk, (oat, almond, soy, rice, etc.)
- lemon or orange juice, (from 1 lemon, 1/2 orange)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- a pinch of vanilla
- 1/2 cup candied oranges, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Put the cranberries in 1/2 cup of water and heat them in a small saucepan until simmering. Let them cook for few minutes and then let them stand and cool.
- In one bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange/lemon zest.
- In the other bowl mix together the vegetable milk, lemon/orange juice, vegetable oil, vanilla and candied oranges.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well with the spatula or spoon.
- Add drained cranberries, mix and combine well.
- Fill muffin cups with the made batter.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until lightly browned on 200°C (400°F).
- Decorate according to your own desires and inspiration.