We love vegan cooking and baking. We spend countless hours experimenting with new recipes that satisfy any savory or sweet cravings.
Make Your Own Healthy Vegan Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese is one of North America's favorite dishes. It features two ingredients that most people love: cheese and pasta.
Unfortunately, most recipes are not the healthiest, nor are they remotely vegan. On top of that, the boxed versions are highly processed, and they generally don't taste as good as homemade.
This article will help you find the healthy vegan recipe you were always looking for.
Cooked potatoes (sweet or regular)
Liquid or cubed broth (organic)
- Broth: For my healthy vegan mac and cheese I like using broth cubes rather than liquid broth. Broth cubes have a stronger flavor, and they don't dilute the sauce unnecessarily.
- Nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk, and cashews: These ingredients give your sauce its cheesy flavor, and the cashews give a nice creamy texture.
- Cooked potatoes: Potatoes add starch to your sauce for thickness.
- Cooked carrots: The carrots add sweetness and a nice orange color.
Raw bell peppers
If you like your sauce sour, adding lemon or lime juice might be just right for you. But beware that your sauce might get an unpleasant aftertaste, so add only one teaspoon at a time while experimenting with this add-in.
The same is pretty much true for all the other add-ins. Don't overdo them, and try a little at a time to find the flavor combo that is just right for you.
Basic Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe
This is a recipe I just recently made to give you a rough idea of the ingredient ratios, but feel free to use any ingredient to your liking.
As this is a basic recipe, you can add any off the above listed add-ins to your own preferences.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
About 1 1/2 cups
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small sweet potato, sliced
- 1/2 cup cashews, raw
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 broth cube
- Start by soaking the raw cashews in a small bowl for 15 minutes in boiling water. Set aside.
- Steam the carrot and sweet potato until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the cashews.
- Next, add the soaked cashews, cooked potato, cooked carrot, the non-dairy milk, and the broth cube to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Adjust texture with water, if desired. Serve with elbow macaroni, and enjoy.
Side Dish Options for Vegan Mac and Cheese
Your healthy mac and cheese will be absolutely delicious all on its own, but I recommend pairing it with any of the following options:
- Fried tofu
- Brussels sprouts
- Finely diced carrots
- Green beans
- Garden salad
- Diced tomatoes
Enjoy your delicious and wholesome meal!
© 2021 Bellwether Farming