Carmen is an enthusiastic vegan cook and baker, and she especially likes to experiment with new recipes.
Pumpkin Muffins for All Seasons
You don't have to wait until fall to eat pumpkin muffins. Make this recipe any time of year to enjoy the iconic spice mix of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and cloves.
Follow the instructions for my spice mix, create your own, or buy your favorite spice combo at the store.
Raisin and Chocolate Chip Option
For even more deliciousness, add one cup of chocolate chips or raisins to your batter.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 2 tablespoons flax, ground
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sugar (add 1/2 cup more if you want sweeter)
- 1/2 cup oil (I used coconut)
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon banking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins
- Start by preparing the flax egg. In a small bowl, mix the water and the ground flax. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease the muffin pans.
- In a large bowl add the sugar and oil. Mix until the sugar is dissolved. In the same bowl, add the flax egg and the pumpkin puree. Mix well.
- Next, incorporate the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices. The batter should be quite sticky and almost dough-like.
- Optional step: Fold the chocolate chips or raisins into the batter.
- Half fill your prepared muffin pans with the batter, and bake for 20 minutes in the oven. Let cool before taking the muffins out of their molds. Enjoy them plain or with margarine.
© 2021 Bellwether Farming
Bellwether Farming (author) from Alberta, Canada on January 26, 2021:
Thank you, Liza!
Let me know what you think. :)
Liza from USA on January 26, 2021:
I love pumpkins. However, I have never incorporated pumpkin in muffins. I wouldn't mind trying your recipe, for sure. Your recipe seems easy to follow, and the muffins look appetizing! Thanks for sharing.