We love vegan cooking and baking. We spend countless hours experimenting with new recipes that satisfy any savory or sweet cravings.
A Hearty Soup for Dinner
I adapted this vegan, gluten-free potato and lentil soup recipe from my grandmother in Germany. I always used to love this soup, especially with traditional sourdough bread and margarine.
What I also like about this recipe is that it is made out of simple ingredients: potatoes, red lentils, and carrots. Add just a few spices and vegetable broth, and you can create a delicious meal.
This soup tastes good fresh, and it freezes well, too. No leftovers have to go to waste—just enjoy your reheated soup on another day.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 30 min
About 18 cups of soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or more water)
- 3 1/2 pounds potatoes (and potato water), peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion or leek, chopped
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cooking the lentils in 3 cups of water until soft, for about 30 minutes. In a large pot add the peeled and cubed potatoes. Add water until the potatoes are just covered. Cook until fork tender
- In a large pot, heat the oil or water. Add the chopped onions and diced carrots. Add all the spices: basil, oregano, salt, sugar, paprika, and pepper. Stir until everything is well combined. Cook until tender.
- In the same pot, add the cooked lentils (do not drain lentils) and the vegetable broth. Adjust the spices to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes with 2 cups of potato water to the rest of the soup ingredients. Cover with a lid, and let stand until ready to serve. Enjoy with slices of bread slathered with vegan margarine.
© 2021 Bellwether Farming