Vegetarian-Meat Jamaican Patties
Vegetarian Jamaican Patties
I adapted this recipe to be vegetarian. I wanted a tasty lunch dish I could carry in my lunch box with an ice pack and that would keep in the fridge for the week. I like to prepare my lunches on Sundays for the week. These keep longer than meat in the fridge for the work week. I like the taste and texture of Yves veggie cuisine "meat."
- PASTRY *
- 1 cup White flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp White sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 Tbsp Milk powder
- 1/2 cup Olive oil, Cold
- 1/4 cup Water, Cold
- FILLING *
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, Diced
- 1 cup Mixed vegetables, Thawed
- 340g package Vegetarian Meat, Yves
- 1-2 Jalapeno, Diced
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 3/4 cup Vegetable broth
- * Salt and Pepper, To taste
- 2 Tbsp liquid egg white, To brush tops
- PREPARE FILLING
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in pan over medium heat. Saute onions, and jalapeno peppers until soft. Add vegetarian meat and mixed vegetables, stir.
- Add broth, salt and pepper, thyme, curry powder, and garlic powder, lower heat to simmer and stir occasionally until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- PREPARE CRUST
- In a bowl combine all dry ingredients, stir to mix.
- Add cold olive oil and cold water to dry ingredients, mix together to form a ball. If too dry and crumbly add 1-2 Tbsp more water.
- Form dough into a log 10" long. Cut 1" sections off log until you have 10 pieces.
- On a silicone mat roll 1" dough pieces into 6" round circles.
- Spoon 2 generous Tbsp of cooled filling into centre of rolled circle.
- Fold one edge of circle over to form a half moon. Use fork to press edges closed.
- Place patties on parchment lined baking sheet, brush tops with egg whites, and pierce in several places with knife.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Eat hot out of the oven or store in the fridge for future use.
Steps To SuccessClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2017 Wes Clark