I enjoy baking my own breads and treats for my family on the weekend as a healthier and tastier alternative to store-bought options.
I wanted a tasty lunch dish that I could carry in my lunch box with an ice pack and that would keep in the fridge for my whole work week. Since I like to prepare my lunches for the week on Sunday night, I adapted this recipe to be vegetarian. The fake meat allows them to keep longer than real meat patties in the fridge. I like the taste and texture of Yves Veggie Cuisine's "meat."
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 25 min
- 1 cup White flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil, cold
- 1/4 cup water, cold
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, thawed
- 340g package Yves vegetarian meat
- 1–2 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp liquid egg white, to brush tops
Instructions for Preparing Filling
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Sautée onions and jalapeno peppers until soft.
- Add vegetarian meat and mixed vegetables. Stir.
- Add broth, salt and pepper, thyme, curry powder, and garlic powder.
- Lower heat to simmer and stir occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Instructions for Preparing Crust
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir to mix.
- Add cold olive oil and cold water to dry ingredients. Mix together to form a ball. If too dry and crumbly, add 1–2 tbsp more water.
- Form dough into a10" log. Cut 1" sections off the log until you have 10 pieces.
- On a silicone mat, roll 1" dough pieces into 6" round circles.
- Spoon 2 generous tbsp of cooled filling into the centre of each rolled circle.
- Fold one edge of each circle over to form a half-moon. Use a fork to press the edges closed.
- Place the patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush tops with egg whites, and pierce in several places with a knife.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake for 20–25 minutes.
- Eat hot out of the oven or store in the fridge for future use.
Steps to Success
© 2017 Wes Clark