You'd Never Know It's Vegan: Blueberry Crumb Muffin Recipe
Don't miss out on blueberry muffins just because you avoid eggs or milk! This recipe is bursting full of berry flavor with subtle hints of lemon, and it's finished with a sweet topping to add dimension.
Preparation and Baking Times
For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup mild-tasting oil, such as vegetable oil or partially refined olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cups blueberries (adjust according to your preference)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
For the crumb topping:
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter substitute such as Earth Balance
- Rinse the blueberries well in a strainer, then transfer them to a bowl. Add the 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons lemon extract. Stir well to coat the blueberries and start dissolving the sugar.
- Microwave the blueberries for 1 minute and 30 seconds (or, alternatively, heat them over medium-low heat for a few minutes to soften and plump them up, while stirring frequently). Set them aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a separate large bowl, add the sugar, water, oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Use an electric mixer on low speed to dissolve the sugar well.
- Next, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and pinch of cinnamon all at once. Mix well to combine.
- Now add the blueberries, including their juices. Mix well.
- Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- In a separate bowl, add the ingredients for the crumb topping. Use an electric mixer on low to blend the ingredients until slightly dry and crumbly.
- Spoon the crumb topping on top of the batter for each muffin.
- Bake as directed for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. In all eggless baking, do not open the oven door until towards the end of the baking time. Doing so can cause sinking in the middle. Make use of that oven light to keep an eye on them!
- Cool the muffins in the pan completely before removing them. These muffins store well in an airtight container, and freeze wonderfully for convenient snacking any time! Enjoy.
© 2018 Jillian Erin