I love to cook and try new foods and recipes. I always test the recipes I share.
How to Make Delicious, Versatile Tofu Salad
You are going to love this tofu salad—it's a great vegetarian or even vegan recipe. It's so quick and easy to prepare, and it calls for only a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Those of you who are familiar with tofu know it has a long refrigerator life if it is left unopened in its watertight pouch. Once it's opened, if you tend to it properly, it will last yet another week. To store it after it's opened, place it in a covered container, and cover the entire block of tofu with water. Drain and change the water daily.
Keep a package on hand in the refrigerator for a quick meal ingredient. Mix up a small or large batch of the salad and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge.
- 7 ounces tofu (1/2 a typical tofu cake)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or soy mayonnaise or vegannaise)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork until it has the lumpy appearance of cottage cheese.
- Taste it. Depending on the mayonnaise or mayonnaise substitute you use, you may want to add another 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the salad in a pita pocket. For crunch and texture, add some or all of the following: sprouts, lettuce, tomatoes.
- Place the salad in half a papaya.
- Place the salad on a plate surrounded by tomatoes.
If you are vegan or vegetarian, you probably have already ventured into the tofu cooking world. For those of you who are not familiar with tofu, here we go:
Most comes packed in water. Pierce the package and drain the water. For this recipe, all we are going to do is pat the tofu cake dry and cut it in half.
A typical cake is 14 ounces net weight. My recipe calls for half of the block (7 ounces). Just cut the cake in half.
- It has no animal fat. No cholesterol and low saturated fat.
- It is high in protein and calcium.
- It is an economical replacement for meat, fish and other proteins.
© 2012 Ellen Gregory