12 Ways to Eat and Enjoy Almond Butter
Almond butter has seen its popularity rise as a delicious and healthy alternative to peanut butter. Its wonderful taste, numerous health benefits and versatility has placed it on the mainstream food map as a choice with many possibilities.
A simple jar of (either dry roasted or raw almonds) yields a smooth, velvety taste, a rich source of vitamin E, plant protein, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, and presents an option for people who suffer from peanut or other nut allergies. It is more readily available than before and can easily be purchased at most supermarkets or online. Better yet, with a solid food processor and fresh almonds, it can even be made in the comfort of your own home.
Almond butter can be a featured ingredient in some recipes as well as as a great complement in others. Below, check out a list of suggestions for enjoying it in any variety of sweet and savory possibilities.
1. On toast or other starches (bagels, muffins, crumpets, english muffins, pancakes, waffles). For example, enjoy your morning toast with a smear of it.
2. On fresh fruit. For example, a banana topped with almond butter
3. On dried fruit, like dried apples or apricots dipped into it.
4. On fresh vegetables, like with celery sticks and raisins.
5. In hot cereal. For example, try oatmeal, with a dollop of almond butter and a milk or milk substitute.
6. In yogurt, and maybe mixed with a sweetener like honey.
7. In shakes and smoothies. For example: take a spoonful of it, mix with milk or a milk alternative, add frozen fruits of your choice, and ice, and then blend together in a blender. Optional: add protein powder, yogurt, silken tofu, ripe avocado, greens, and/or added sweeteners.
8. Added to savory dishes, condiments, sauces. It helps thickens and adds nutty body and flavor. For example, this Thai-inspired almond butter satay by Maranatha Nut Butters.
9. On frozen desserts. For example, mix spoonful of it with warm chocolate syrup and drizzle over scoops of vanilla ice cream
10. On chocolate— you can simply dip chocolate pieces into it and enjoy the combination.
11. Incorporated into sweet treats or baked goods. You can try these hearty, healthy almond cookie biscuits by Bendo13, these honey almond butter balls by girly_girl09 or brown rice crispies by Sprouted Kitchen
12. Of course, as a replacement for peanut butter. Like a classic PB&J with almond butter instead.
by the spoonful