Split Chickpea and Lentil Chutney Powder
Dry Chutney is a healthy, Spicy, and Tasty Condiment
Chutney powder's special taste and aroma enhances any meal's flavors. This is a good condiment that goes well with plain rice, dosa, idli, chapati rolls, and snacks.
This chutney pudi/powder has the goodness of chickpea, white lentil, curry leaves, coconut, and asafoetida. You can make this in about 15-20 minutes. You can store this in normal temperature for six months. Its shelf life increases if it's kept in cold temperatures. Store it in a refrigerator, and it will stay fresh for more than a year.
Now, let me share this dry chutney recipe with you.
- 1 big cup chickpea split/gram dal/chana dal
- 1/3 big cup white lentils/urad dal
- 3/4 cup copra or dry coconut, thinly sliced or grated
- 20 dry red chilies, broken, medium hot variety, I used Byadigi chili
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida, solid or powder
- 2 springs curry leaves
- goose berry-sized dry tamarind
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/3 tsp sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- 1/4 tsp or less oil, for roasting curry leaves and dry red chilies
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Split Chickpea and White Lentil Chutney Powder
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Dry roast split chicikpea/gram dal on a medium-low heat till they turn golden brown. Collect it in a large steel bowl.
- Add white lentils to the same pan. Dry roast it till it gets golden brown. Collect it in the same steel bowl.
- Add thinly sliced dry coconut to the pan. Stir-fry till it changes into golden and becomes crispy. Add it to the bowl.
- Now, add broken dry red chilies, curry leaves, dry tamarind, and asafoetida to the pan. Saute adding a few drops of cooking oil. Turn off the heat once curry leaves and chilies become crispy. Add this also to the bowl.
- Wait till the roasted items cool down.
- Next, put them in a mixer or blender. Throw in salt and sugar.
- Dry grind to get a near-smooth or a little coarse powder. Taste it. Add more salt or chilies if needed. Grind once again.
- Your favorite chutney powder is ready! Transfer it to a bowl. Store it in an air-tight container once it cools down completely.
- You can store it fresh for 6 months in room temperature. Also, you can use it refrigerated for a year.
- Use this chutney powder as a side dish or condiment while serving food. Enjoy eating this tasty food accompaniment!