The Ultimate Herb & Spice Pairing Guide
Walking down the spice aisle is always the highlight of my grocery trips. The colors and textures of all the spices neatly displayed in tiny glass bottles lets me imagine for a moment I am in an medieval apothecary. When reality sets back in though, I realize that I only know how to use a fraction of the spices on the shelf: garlic, cinnamon, oregano, basil, and dill. That’s it. I leave the aisle defeated and accept my culinary limitations.
After making some serious lifestyle changes to get my health goals back on track, I have become much more willing to venture outside my comfort zone. I really have to be adventurous to keep things interesting enough to stick to a healthier diet. I thought it would be nice to share some of the things I’ve learned so far by preparing a spice pairing guide that can be referenced at a glance in the kitchen. I will be updating this over time as I uncover new things and feel free to leave suggestions in the comments below!
A Word of Caution
When preparing food for children, pregnant women, or people with compromised immune systems; it is always best to do a little research on the herbs or spices you plan to use in your dish. Erring on the side of caution is especially important when using herbs from your own garden or making tea. Some of the plants used to make popular spices have very poisonous leaves, stems, or berries. Stay safe and have fun!
General Spice Pairing Guide
Pairs Well With
Chives, Lemon Balm, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Cumin, Garlic, Mint, Onions, Oregano, Parsley, Sage, Savory, Thyme
Basil, Caraway, Clove, Dill, Marjoram, Mint, Sage, Savory, Thyme
Basil, Bay Leaf, Caraway, Cumin, Fenugreek, Garlic, Ginger, Marjoram, Onion, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Cinnamon, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Lavender, Mint, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Dill, Garlic, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Oregano, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Caraway, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Marjoram, Sage, Savory
Anise, Basil, Chervil, Chives, Cinnamon, Clove, Cumin, Dill, Ginger, Marjoram, Mint, Parsley, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Caraway, Chives, Cumin, Dill, Garlic, Marjoram, Parsley, Rosemary, Savory, Tarragon
Anise, Basil, Bay Leaf, Borage, Chives, Cinnamon, Cumin, Dill Fenugreek, Garlic, Ginger, Lovage, Marjoram, Onion, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Chervil, Chives, Lemon Balm, Saffron, Sage, Thyme
Basil, Cinnamon, Dill, Garlic, Marjoram, Mint, Onion, Oregano, Parsley, Sage, Savory, Thyme
Anise, Basil, Caraway, Cayenne Pepper, Chervil, Chives, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Anise, Basil, Borage, Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Anise, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Mint, Rosemary
Basil, Bay Leaf, Cinnamon, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Garlic, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Mint, Onion, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Tarragon, Thyme
Coriander, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Dill, Marjoram, Parsley, Savory, Thyme
Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Rosemary, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Anise, Caraway, Cardamom, Dill, Garlic, Ginger, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Tarragon
Basil, Caraway, Chives, Coriander, Dill, Fennel, Lovage, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Fennel, Lovage, Saffron, Tarragon, Thyme
Anise, Basil, Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Cinnamon, Dill, Rosemary, Thyme
Basil, Caraway, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, ginger, Marjoram, Dill, Oregano, Rosemary, Sage, Savory
Garlic, Marjoram, Onion, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme
Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Peppermint, Citrus Peels, Hibiscus, Lemon Verbena, Licorice Root, Nettle Leaf, Spearming, Ginger, Red Clover, Rosehips, Roses, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Lavender, Thyme, Jasmine, Marjoram, Fennel, Rosemary
Basil, Bay Leaf, Chives, Coriander, Dill, Garlic, Lovage, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Basil, Garlic, Marjoram, Onion, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Popular Spice Blends
In this section, I've taken some of the guesswork out of creating your very own herb blends for popular main ingredients.
- lemon juice, rosemary, black pepper
- thyme, cloves, orange peel, black pepper
- garlic, herbed vinegar, black pepper
- mashed green peppercorns, onions, marjoram
- ginger, orange peel, sage
- marjoram, thyme, apple cider vinegar
- tarragon, shallots, lemon juice
- basil, white wine vinegar, garlic
- dill, lemon juice, mustard seed
- lovage, celery seed, lemon juice, black pepper
- fennel seed, mustard seed, bay, lemon peel
- savory, chives, onions
- dill, bay, rice vinegar
- basil, nutmeg, marjoram
Yellow & Orange Vegetables
- cinnamon, nutmeg, orange juice, thyme
- ginger, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, lovage, celery leaf
- beebalm, thyme
Cheese & Eggs
- dill, chives, parsley, paprika
- nutmeg, dry mustard, black pepper
- oregano, garlic, thyme
Beans, Rice, & Grains
- chilies, cumin seed, oregano, garlic
- saffron, garlic, parsley
- mint, parsley, lemon peel, caraway seed
- mint and dill
- beebalm and lovage
- lemon verbena and dash of orange peel
- costmary and tansy
- basil, sweet pepper, oregano, thyme
- marjoram and garlic
- garlic, sesame seeds, chives
- oregano, thyme, garlic, olive oil
- chervil, tarragon, shallots, peanut oil
- ginger, cardamom seed, coriander leaf, safflower oil
- saffron, garlic, olive oil
- dill, garlic, sunflower oil
- basil, chili, garlic, and olive oil
- lemon verbena, lemon thyme, walnut oil
- lovage, garlic, celery leaf, olive oil
- rosemary, raisins, orange peel, garlic, white wine vinegar
- sage, parsley, shallots, red wine vinegar
- borage, dill, shallots, white wine vinegar
- chilies, garlic, oregano, cider vinegar
- mint, honey, cardamom seed, white vinegar
- coriander leaf, garlic, rice vinegar
- rose petals, violet petals, rice vinegar
- dill, nasturtiums, garlic, cider vinegar
- fennel leaf, garlic, parsley, white wine vinegar
Popular Spices Around The World
Popular Herbs & Spices
ginger, garlic, fenugreek, chilies, black pepper, cloves, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, paprika, cumin, turmeric, peppercorns
allspice, basil, bay leaves, caraway, cardamom, cayenne, celery seed, chives, chilies, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, dill, garlic, lemon, mace, marjoram, mustard seed, nutmeg, onion, oregano, paprika, parsley, peppercorns, saffron, salt, savory, tarragon, thyme
thyme, marjoram, basil, cilantro, shallots, allspice, arrowroot, ginger, garlic, chilies, Jamaican jerk seasoning*, nutmeg, lemon, mace, lime
Chinese 5 Spice*, star anise, cinnamon, fennel seed, ginger, Szechuan peppercorns
Fines Herbes*, Persillade*, Herbes de Provence*, nutmeg, tarragon, saffron, chives, chervil, parsley, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, oregano, lavender, sage, bay leaf, peppercorn
bay leaves, borage, caraway seeds, chives, dill, juniper berries, marjoram, parsley, thyme, white pepper, mustard seed, celery seed, coriander, dill seed
ginger, turmeric, chilies, saffron, cumin, garam masala, curry powder*, coriander, black pepper, fenugreek, fennel, nutmeg, cardamom, star anise, basil, mint, bay laurel, cloves
oregano, black pepper, parsley, bay leaves, sage, rosemary, thyme, marjoram
cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, ginger, turmeric, orange peel, sesame seeds, wasabi powder, Japanese 7 Spice Blend (Shichimi Togarashi)*
cilantro, oregano, thyme, parsley, mint, allspice, cayenne pepper, chilies, chili powder*, cloves, coriander, sage, Adobo*, cacao, celery seed, sea salt, chia seeds, cumin, Jamaican Jerk Seasoning*, lime, paprika, peppercorns
arugula, basil, bay leaf, dill, fennel leaves, marjoram, spearmint, oregano, parsley, purslane, rosemary, sage, savory, tarragon, thyme, garlic
basil, lemon basil, ginger, shallots, lemongrass, lime leaves, spearmint, coriander, garlic, chilies, turmeric, bay leaves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, curry powder*, galangal, green peppercorns, holy basil, mace, nutmeg, star anise
Tips for Maximizing Flavors
- To get more mileage out of dried herbs, soak them for several minutes in a liquid that can be used in the recipe; such as water, broth, oil, lemon juice, or vinegar.
- When using herbs for salad dressings, allow the herbs to soak for at least 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Before working the flavors of herbs into meat, poultry, or fish, rub them with your hands before cooking.
- For steamed or boiled vegetables, add the herbs to melted butter and allow to stand for 10 minutes before seasoning the vegetables with it.
- Generally speaking, dried and fresh herbs can be used interchangeably in recipes. Use 3-5 times more fresh herbs than dried, depending on the strength of the herb.
- For best flavor of foods with a long cook time, add the herbs during the last 20 or so minutes of cooking.
Questions & Answers
What herb works well with rosemary?
Garlic and parsley are frequently paired with rosemary. Also can be used with curry powder and mint. It's a very aromatic herb so it can be used by itself....especially for seasoning meat!Helpful 7
Vegan Spaghetti with Oregano: what additional seasoning can be added?
If the sauce has tomatoes the following might also go well with it: Basil, Bay Leaf, Chives, Coriander, Dill, Garlic, Lovage, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme.Helpful 4
What spice works well with Cilantro?
Cilantro works well with garlic, onions, chiles, limes, basil and mint.Helpful 5
What spice works well with dill?
Dill typically goes well with basil, mint, cilantro, bay, borage, chervil, chives, garlic, onion, parsley, sorrel, and tarragon.Helpful 3
Do thyme and dill mix well?
Yes! There are several combination including both in the article for different types of foods--see Spinach and Tomatoes for other spice ideas.Helpful 1
© 2017 Marla Watson