After living in the city for 30 years, EC moved to the countryside. He writes about life in the mountains, dogs, plants, and cooking.
Eggplants may taste bland, but they make a satisfying torta or fritata dish because this veggie readily absorbs all the flavor of other ingredients.
Pack the antioxidant-rich eggplant with the nutrients from tomatoes and eggs, then serve it as an eggplant omelet with grated cheese on top.
This recipe will have absolutely no oil when baked. Brush the baking pan with butter to avoid sticking and on top when half-baked to make it look golden and appetizing.
Fold in some bacon bits, chicken flakes, or even nuts to have something to chew.
The options to make the eggplant fritata or torta more delicious are endless. All leftovers are welcome to be mixed in.
Eggplants are loaded with antioxidants and flavonoids. Health buffs love the no-fat eggplants because of the medicinal benefits like reduction in risk of heart attack and stroke, decrease in bad cholesterol, and improvement of blood flow.
A particular antioxidant called chlorogenic acid makes the eggplant a strong protection against cancer, microbes, and viruses.
Read More From Delishably
Calorie content is almost non-existent because a cup of this vegetable has only 38 calories.
How to Cook Tortang Talong or Eggplant Fritata-Style
Ingredients to make 1 serving:
- 1 medium long eggplants
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- a pinch of salt and ground pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch or flour
- 1/2 cup left-over meat like bacon, fried chicken, roasted turkey, or cold cuts
How to Skin a Whole Eggplant
- Sear the eggplant over open fire until skin burnt to black.
- Dip the burned eggplant into cold water. Charred skin is easier to peel off when wet.
- Seared eggplant is also cooked inside. Lay the softened fruit at the center of the palm and support with the fingers.
- Start peeling from the stem. Pinch a small part of the soft skin and pull down gently.
- Make sure the skin being peeled off stays thin and that no flesh is attached.
How to Prepare Vinegar Dip
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 piece red or green chili pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
Put all ingredients in a small clean glass jar with cover—and shake well.
How to Fry Eggplant Torta
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a wok or pan.
- When smoke appears on surface of oil, carefully pour the eggplant mixture.
- Using a flat spatula, carefully flip the eggplant cake when edges turned to golden.
- Cover the pan. Cook over low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Drain excess oil from fried eggplant torta. Serve hot with steaming fried rice.
How to Cook Eggplant Omelet
- Sear and peel off skin from whole eggplant. Leave the stem intact.
- In a wide bowl, lightly beat eggs with salt and ground pepper.
- Mix in the tomatoes, onion, and leftover meat bits or flakes.
- Add the skinned eggplant and gently mash the flesh with a fork.
- When the flesh is flattened, pour the egg mixture all over. Use the fork to fluff the dish.
How to Sear or Burn Eggplant Skin
More About Eggplants
- The eggplant is considered as one the of the nightshade plants like tomato and potato.
- This purple vegetable has different names: guinea squash, brinjal, melongene, and aubergine.
- It comes in a variety of different sizes, shapes, and colors like orange, white, red violet, pink, and green—but the most common eggplant is the elongated ovoid with shiny deep purple skin.
- Japanese eggplants are actually a Chinese variety that looks like a cucumber with its green color and white stripes.