Margie's been an online writer for several years. Her articles focus on great Southern-style recipes for any occasion.
I am sharing some of my favorite salads that have ingredients of meats, beans, peas, or the combination of these ingredients. These types of salads are more filling and can be used as a meal.
Pick your favorite salad recipe and let me know how you liked it!
4 Meat, Bean, or Pea Salad Recipes
- Mexican Taco Salad
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Zesty Mariniated Four-Bean Salad
- Sugar Snap and English Pea Surprise Salad
1. Taco Salad Recipe
Mexican taco salad takes a lettuce and tomato salad to the next level. It is loaded with ground beef, shredded cheese, pinto beans, crunched tortilla chip, and avocado slices. Your choice of French or a thousand island dressing brings it together for a delicious salad that is a meal. My husband likes for me to leave the dressing off, and he uses salsa on his instead.
Ingredients for Mexican Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium head lettuce, chopped
- 4-ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8-ounces bottle French dressing
- 1-7 ounces bag tortilla chips crunched (I buy extra to eat along with the salad.)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-15 ounces can pinto beans, drained (I use the ranch style beans.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Instructions for Making Mexican Taco Salad
- Combine the first seven ingredients and gently toss in a large bowl.
- Brown the hamburger meat, add pinto beans and the salt, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Toss the hamburger mixture with the salad mixture.
- Garnish with extra chips.
Tip From Margie Lynn
For added flavor, you can add a package of taco seasoning mix to the hamburger meat. Follow the directions on the package.
Video 4 Salad-In-A-Jar Recipes
2. Black-Eyed Pea Salad Recipe
Black-eyed pea salad is made from canned black-eyed peas. It's filled with a mixture of tomatoes, avocado, green pepper, green onion, and cilantro. For spice, you may add a jalapeno pepper or omit it if you do not like spicy food. It's brought together with Italian salad dressing.
Read More From Delishably
Ingredients for Black-Eyed Pea Salad
1-15 ½ ounces can black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed
• 1 large tomato, diced
• 1 medium size avocado, diced
• 1/3 cup green or red pepper, diced
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
• 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, optional
• 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
Instructions for Making Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Find a large clear glass bowl to mix this salad in. It will make a stunning display!
- Combine all the ingredients and add the Italian salad dressing and toss to coat mixture well.
Makes 4 servings.
3. Zesty Marinated Four-Bean Salad Recipe
Zesty four-bean salad gets better the longer it marinates. You can mix any of your favorite beans and will have a tangy salad. I use Splenda in place of the sugar, and it is delicious. I am trying to watch a few calories, but it's hard when you like to cook and eat.
Ingredients for Four Bean-Salad
- 1-14.5 ounce can green beans, drained
- 1-14.5 ounce can wax beans, drained
- 1-14.5 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1-15 ounce garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (green, yellow or red)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar (or 1/4 cup Splenda)
- 1/3 cups canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup white vinegar or wine vinegar
Instructions for Making Four-Bean Salad
- Combine all the drained vegetables in a large bowl.
- In a container that has a lid place the onion, bell pepper, sugar, oil, salt, black pepper, and vinegar; cover and shake.
- Pour over the beans and mix gently.
- Chill and serve.
Video Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
4. Sugar Snap and English Pea Surprise Salad
This is a twist on the pea salad. You use sugar snap peas and small English peas to make a delicious salad. It is chocked full of cashews, cauliflower celery, red onions, and brought together with sour cream and salad dressing. It is topped off with a garnish of crumbled crisp bacon.
Ingredients for Sugar Snap and English Pea Salad
- 1-10 ounces package frozen sugar snap peas
- 1-10 ounces package frozen small English peas, thawed
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup salad dressing
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, dices
- ¼ cup crisp bacon, crumbled
Instructions for Making Sugar Snap and English Pea Salad
- Cook the sugar snap peas for 2 minutes.
- Mix in a large bowl the sugar snap peas, English peas, cashews, cauliflower, salad dressing, sour cream, and celery.
- Chill the mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with the bacon.
Makes 6 servings.
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen