7 Best Recipes for Cooking Squash
Squash, squash, and lots of squash! Does anyone want some squash?
Squash plants put on numerous squashes, so you are bombarded with them all at once! You cannot give them away; somebody else beat you to the suspect first.
I have some great recipes for squash, grilled, casseroles, salad, pickled, and a dessert! The ways are numerous in how you can use your abundance of squash!
I love the summer when there is fresh squash, we get to explore our imagination in the ways to prepare them.
I favor the yellow, zucchini and patty pan squash for many of my preparations. You can also use these squash raw in salads or a marinated relish as well.
Delicious Ways to Prepare Squash
- Grilled Squash
- Mexican Squash Casserole
- Zucchini Slaw
- Stir-Fry Squash
- Squash Pickles
- Easy Squash Casserole
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1. Grilled Squash Recipe
Grilling fresh vegetables are so good and a healthful way to cook them! Consider different seasonings to find your favorite! Grilling squash is a great side dish when grilling meat, just add at the appropriate time! I like to cook the complete meal on the grill.
Ingredients for Grilling Squash
4 or 5 squash, sliced or as many as need
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Instructions for Making Grilled Squash
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Slice the squash ¼ inch slice lengthwise or crosswise.
- Toss the sliced squash with the olive, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Arrange the squash on a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, pull the foil around the squash to seal it.
- Put the squash package on the grill and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Mexican Squash Casserole Recipe
Mexican squash takes the mild-flavored squash and gives it a spicy cheesy Mexican flare! When the squash start coming in; I pulled this recipe out of my recipe box to cook. Great side dish to any meal.
Ingredients for Mexican Squash
- 4 cups cooked yellow or zucchini squash
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup crushed cracker crumbs
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Instructions for Making Mexican Squash
- Wash and cook the squash.
- Add the onion, tomatoes and green chilies and chili powder to the cooked squash and mix.
- Place into casserole dish; top with the cracker crumbs and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Makes 6-8 servings.
Video Recipe Green Chile and Chicken Stuffed Squash
3. Zucchini Slaw Recipe
Zucchini slaw is a delicious way to use the squash raw. This slaw is covered with a flavorful creamy spicy or not sauce. Simple and fast to put together. If you have one of those spiral makers that would be awesome to use it!
Ingredients for Zucchini Slaw
- 4 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1 carrot, coarsely shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- salt to taste
Instructions for Making Zucchini Slaw
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the coarsely shredded zucchini and carrot.
- Add the cilantro, jalapeño, bell pepper, garlic and red onion.
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard; add to the vegetables and stir until well blended.
- Add the salt to your taste.
- Chill the zucchini slaw for at least one hour.
Makes 8 servings.
4. Stir-Fry Squash Recipe
I love stir-frying squash; it is delicious, quick and easy. You can do one type of squash or a medley of different types. I prefer mixing the different types of squash when I have them.
We raise yellow, zucchini and patty pan squash, so that is what I usually cook I also occasionally add rings of onions or bell peppers strips with them.
Ingredients for Stir-Fry Squash
- 4-6 sliced squash any type
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Instructions for Making Stir-Fry Squash
- Place the olive oil in a medium-high heated skillet, depending on how many squashes and the size; use enough to coat with the oil.
- Slice and season the squash, omit red pepper flakes if you do not like spicy.
- Cook the squash over medium-high hit stirring constantly until tender-crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- You may use two cloves of fresh garlic in place of the garlic powder.
- Add one medium onion cut into rings and ½ bell pepper cut into strips with the squash for variation.
5. Squash Pickles Recipe
Squash pickles, yes squash pickles! You must try this sweet crisp pickled squash recipe. If you enjoy spicy add a jalapeno or two!
I first ate them when an employee brought a jar for us to eat with our lunch. I had never heard of such a pickle! This recipe tastes just like bread and butter cucumber pickles, but usually much crisper. They are delicious with just about anything. Squash pickles will be ready to eat in 24 hours.
Ingredients for Squash Pickles
- 8 cups yellow summer squash, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 /12 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
Instructions for Making Squash Pickles
- Sterilize 6-8 pint jars, lids, and rings.
- In a large non-aluminum pot layer the squash, onions, and peppers.
- Sprinkle with the salt.
- Let stand one hour in cold ice water.
- Drain off the excess liquid.
- In a pan heat the sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric.
- Pour over the squash, onion, and pepper mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Spoon the squash mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch space from the rim of the jar.
- Seal with the sterilized lids and rings.
- Turn the jar upside down to help seal.
- 12. Ready to eat when chilled 24 hours.
- Makes 6-8 pints.
Tips From Margie Lynn
- Do not overcook or pickles will be soft.
- Chill 24 hours before serving.
- Sterilize jars, lids, and rings in a dishwasher.
- Use caution when filling the jar with the hot mixture.
What are your favorite summer squash?
6. Easy Squash Casserole Recipe
Squash casserole is a great recipe for the many squashes you are harvesting. It is quick and easy to assemble and bakes in less than 1 hour.
This squash side dish is made creamy and flavorful with sour cream, carrot, cream of chicken soup, and onions. Serve with a pork roast and fresh garden salad or meat of your choice.
Ingredients for Squash Casserole
- 2 cups cooked yellow squash
- 1 cup sour cream, 8 ounces
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1-10 3/4 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package seasoned breadcrumbs
- salt, black pepper and butter to taste
Instructions for Making Squash Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the squash, drain.
- Add to squash; cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, carrot, salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle a layer of the seasoned breadcrumbs in a shallow buttered dish.
- Spoon the squash mixture over the crumbs.
- Top with more crumbs and dot generously with butter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes
Tips From Margie Lynn
- May use 1 roll Ritz crackers (crushed) or package of herb stuffing instead of breadcrumbs.
- 1 cup of cheese of your choice may be added.
- Serve with meat and a fresh garden salad.
7. Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
Zucchini squash in a sweet bread, a cake or a pie! Absolutely, the squash makes it moist and scrumptious, you have no taste of the squash!
Chocolate zucchini cake is a delicious way to use up an abundance of these summer squash. You may top with a cream cheese frosting or leave plain. It is a very moist and yummy cake, you would never guess it was made with zucchini squash!
Okay, let's get started baking this delicious cake!
Ingredients for Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1 ½ cups margarine, softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened powder cocoa
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup oil
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions for Making Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Cream the margarine, oil, and sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk; mix well.
- Then add the sifted dry ingredients; baking powder, cocoa, flour, baking soda, and cinnamon; beat well.
- Last, add the zucchini and mix evenly.
- Put in a 13-inch x 9-inch pan, I make mine in a tube pan!
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Margie's Southern Kitchen