SP learned to bake and cook by watching her mother. Now she loves to cook and bake quick and easy recipes that don't take long to make.
This coleslaw recipe is a super quick and very easy recipe to make. It basically contains all of the ingredients that you will find in prepacked coleslaw but it comes without a lot of the extra preservatives and flavourings that are found in some of the prepacked versions.
If you add the mayonnaise to the prepared vegetables then you need to eat the coleslaw that day. But if you leave the mayonnaise out and just assemble the vegetable for the coleslaw then you can keep this in an airtight container in the fridge for two to three days. Then just add some mayonnaise to the portion that you are serving at each meal.
I never buy coleslaw from the grocery store because I don’t like the mayonnaise that they use in the coleslaw. I also find that most brands have at least 10 to 15 ingredients in the prepacked coleslaw. Also if you are trying to find prepacked coleslaw in the winter season, for some reason, at least where I live, the stores don't seem to have a lot on the shelves—so it is usually gone very quickly.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 4 cups prepacked stir-fry white cabbage
- 1 medium white onion
- 5 tablespoons Hellman’s mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups organic grated carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- Plastic bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Handheld grater
- Peel your three carrots and remove the top stalk and the ends of the carrots. Wash your carrots and dry them with a tea towel. If you have a food processor, you can use it to shred the carrots. Otherwise, use a handheld grater. Just pull the carrots down on the grater to get strips of shredded carrots. Since there are only three carrots, this shouldn’t take more than five minutes. Pour your shredded carrots into a bowl and set aside.
- Next put your shredded white cabbage into a colander and rinse it under cold running water to remove any dirt and to give it a clean. Dry the cabbage with a tea towel and pour into the same bowl as the carrots.
- Now you need to peel and roughly chop up the onion and add it into the same bowl as the cabbage and the carrot.
- At this point I usually halve the coleslaw and put one half of it into an airtight container and pop it into the fridge.
- For the other half that you are going to serve now, you need to add two to three level tablespoons of Hellman’s mayonnaise to the vegetables and mix everything really well. If you want to add more mayonnaise you can, I just like mine to have a light coating of it.
Can I use non-organic carrots?
Yes, you can but if you have ever tried using organic vegetables in a dish then you will know that there is a nicer flavour from organic vegetables.
Can I use any brand of mayonnaise?
Read More From Delishably
Yes, if you use another brand of mayonnaise in your household like Kraft or Heinz then you can use them. I just personally like Hellmann’s.
Where can I find prepacked white cabbage?
I usually find this over by the salad and stir-fry section of the grocery store. Some stores also sell fresh prepacked stir-fry mix that already has grated carrot, chopped onion and the cabbage done for you.
If you find this version in your grocery store, then buy this one and then all you need to do is add the mayonnaise.
Can I add other ingredients?
If you don’t like using white onion in your dish then you can use spring onion instead. Spring onion isn’t as strong as white onion and some people might prefer the flavour of this vegetable.
You can also add grated white cheddar cheese to this recipe. For the recipe above I would add four tablespoons of grated cheese. If you like it cheesier then you can add as much as you like. But four tablespoons usually works in this recipe. If you are adding cheese don’t add it to the vegetables that are in the airtight container. Only add the cheese to the vegetable when you are serving it before you add the mayonnaise.
Prepacked vs. Homemade Coleslaw
This is the list of ingredients that is usually found in prepacked coleslaw:
White Cabbage (45%), Mayonnaise (Rapeseed Oil, Water, Egg [Egg, Salt], Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Lemon Juice, Salt, Mustard Powder, Dijon Mustard [Water, Mustard Seed, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid)], Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum)), Carrot (14%), Crème Fraîche (Milk), Double Cream (Milk), Onion, Chive.
This is the ingredients used in homemade coleslaw.
Carrots, Cabbage, Onion, Mayonnaise.
If you want to make a larger portion of this coleslaw just double the ingredients. But you might have to add or take out the amount of mayonnaise that you put in so always start with less and if you need to add more, then you can.
© 2020 Sp Greaney