Aloo Baingan Sabzi (North Indian Potato and Eggplant Dish)
Aloo baingan sabzi is a very popular North Indian vegetable dish that is made with potatoes and eggplant. This is a Punjabi-style recipe.
This dish can be served as a side dish with roti (an Indian flatbread) or paratha (the pan-fried version of Indian flatbread). If you are short on time, you can also serve this dish on its own with only roti on the side.
To make the recipe clearer, I have also made a video, below.
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 250 grams baingan (eggplant), cut lengthwise and kept in a bowl of water to prevent darkening
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed and kept in a bowl of water to prevent darkening
- 3 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 garlic bulb cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric) powder
- 1/2 tsp dhania (coriander) powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp hara dhania (cilantro), chopped
- Place some oil in a skillet, and turn the flame on high. Once the oil is hot, add in the onions. Saute until the onions turn light pink.
- Add chopped garlic. Saute until the garlic turns a bit dark.
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Lower the gas to a simmer, and add the spices and salt. Cook the tomatoes until they are mashed and somewhat thickened.
- Add the cubed potatoes and mix. Cover the skillet with a lid. Let the heat remain on low. Check after 5 minutes to see if the potatoes have begun to soften.
- Continue checking every 4 to 5 minutes until the potatoes are about halfway cooked.
- In the event that the potatoes are taking somewhat longer and the spices are getting dry, sprinkle some water so that the masala does not scorch. Give a good stir and carry on cooking.
- When the potatoes are about a halfway cooked, add the eggplant and 1 tsp of cilantro. Mix and cover.
- Cook until the eggplant becomes soft. Check every 4 to 5 minutes until the eggplant is fully cooked. By this time, the potatoes will also be completely cooked.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle the rest of the cilantro over it.
- Serve and enjoy.
Aloo Baingan Sabzi - Potato Eggplant Vegetable
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly