Asparagus in a Lemon, Egg, and Garlic Sauce Recipe
Asparagus is a wonderful vegetable, easy to cook, beautiful, and wonderfully tasty. This vegetable provides an ever-present sense of green but also forms an excellent base for the addition of various sauces with it. If something like simply adding butter and salt has grown wearying upon you, this is an excellent recipe to try.
This recipe provides a host of different new ingredients with asparagus to make a much more rich, satisfying, and fascinating flavor, with a combination of garlic, lemon, butter, tarragon, hard boiled egg, and almonds making a splendid vegetable side dish recipe. It is not at all that complex, but despite this makes a much improved and excellent asparagus dish.
This recipe is adapted from Please to the Table, The Russian Cookbook, by Anya von Bremzen. Of Armenian origin, they are labeled as "Dznepeg Havkitov, Skhtorov, yev Limonov." My recipe contains a variety of modifications per usual from the former recipe. The main modification I made, which was to cook the butter longer which makes it into a richer and nuttier flavor as it browns, was not purposeful. I had gotten distracted and didn't notice the butter undergoing this browning process. But the result was still excellent regardless and having compared this to a version where it was made without the butter being browned; I decided that the additional complexity and intrigue of the flavor was something which should be kept.
- 2 lb asparagus, fresh
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon, dried tarragon
- 1 oz, slivered almonds
- Firstly, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, until it foams and turns brown, giving off a nutty flavor. Remove from heat and stir in the garlic, covering to keep warm while the asparagus is cooked.
- Hard-boil the egg and cook the asparagus: for the asparagus place it into a saucepan and add just enough water to cover, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and keep boiling for 4 minutes until tender. Drain and dry.
- Stir the lemon juice, slivered almonds, and chopped egg into the garlic-butter mixture, then add the asparagus and toss all in a serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with tarragon, then serve.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Ryan Thomas