How to Make Baby Corn Stir-Fry
Making Baby Corn Stir-fry Overview
Baby corn stir-fry is my favorite side dish for fried rice, rasam rice, or lentil rice. I use minimum spices in this curry to keep the original flavor of baby corn intact. Adding capsicum, turmeric, and onion give a nice kick to this dish. In fact, I suggest you to add all these ingredients to get the perfect blend.
Par-boil baby corn pieces in just sufficient water for 6-7 minutes. Drain the water. Keep baby corn aside. Crush peppercorns and saunf together. Keep handy. Heat oil in a deep bottom pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Saute grated ginger and onion till golden brown. Throw red and green capsicum pieces into the pan. Stir-cook for a while. Add baby corn, fresh peas, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well. Cook till the veggies are done, and still crunchy. Sprinkle pepper-saunf powder and chopped coriander. Blend it with the veggies. Baby corn fry is ready!
Let me share the detailed recipe now.
- 20 baby corn, slit, and cut lengthwise in 1 1/2 cm pieces
- 2 tbsp red capsicum, optional, cubed
- 2 tbsp green capsicum, optional, cubed
- 1/4 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp saunf or fennel seeds, mix with pepper corns and coarsely grind together
- 1/2 tsp pepper corns, mix with saunf and coarsely grind together
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil, or as needed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh peas or frozen, optional, I used
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Baby Corn Fry
- Par boil chopped baby corn in just sufficient water, added with some salt. It may take about 6-7 minutes on low fire. This step will reduce the further cooking time of baby corns.
- Make a coarse mix of pepper corns and saunf. I used pestle for this.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan or wok. Throw cumin seeds into the pan. Let them sizzle. Add grated ginger. Saute till they turn golden brown. Throw chopped onions into the pan. Continue sauteing till onions become pinkish and transparent.
- Add red and green capsicum cubes. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add a little salt. Mix well.
- Add par-boiled baby corn. Throw some turmeric powder into the pan. Mix well. Stir cook for 4-5 minutes or till vegetables are cooked and still crunchy.
- Sprinkle ground pepper corn and saunf mix. Blend it well with the veggies. Check for the taste. Adjust the taste accordingly.
- Transfer the curry to a serving dish. Use it as a side dish for the main course rice or pancakes. They are so nice to eat even without any main course. Enjoy eating the curry!
About Baby Corn
Baby corn is a low calorie vegetable that helps in weight-loss. It has protein, high fiber, and less carbohydrate. I suggest you to include baby corn in your diet for weight control. Apart from this, it is a tasty vegetable too. It stays crunchy even after cooking. It has a mild natural sweet taste. May be, for all these reasons, baby corn fries and snacks are the most popular appetizers in restaurants.
Nutritional Information of Baby Corn Fry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 400 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|