Stir-fried Baby Corn and Broccoli in Oyster Sauce
Baby Corn and Broccoli
Broccoli and Baby Corn in Oyster Sauce
Baby corn is a fairly recent addition to Chinese cooking. Most of it comes from Thailand and Taiwan. These small, tender ears of corn add color and crunch to any Chinese stir-fry. Just be careful that you don’t accidentally buy the pickled version, which is used for appetizers and salad plates. The Chinese version comes canned in water.
Baby corn and broccoli or asparagus make a wonderful combination for stir-fries either combined with meat or as a vegetarian dish. The following recipe pairs it with broccoli, Chinese mushrooms and water chestnuts in a tasty oyster-flavored sauce. Feel free to substitute asparagus for broccoli in this recipe.
This dish is substantial enough to serve just as it is but it can easily be paired with a variety of other Chinese recipes or even with hamburgers, meatloaf or chicken. Some possible Chinese pairings are:
½ Lb. of Fresh Broccoli Crowns (Cut into finger sized pieces) (You can substitute fresh asparagus in season)
1 15 Oz, Can of Baby Corn (drain and cut in half lengthwise)
6 Chinese Dried Mushrooms (soak the mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes, remove the hard stems and cut each one in half)
½ Cup of Canned Water Chestnuts (cut in half crosswise)
1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 Teaspoon Minced Ginger Root
3 Tablespoons of Oil
3 Tablespoons Oyster-flavored Sauce
1 Tablespoon Thin Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Dry White wine
1 Tablespoon Water
1 Teaspoon of Cornstarch
½ Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Sesame Seed oil
- Blanch the broccoli and baby corn and drain them.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and stir-fry the garlic, ginger and mushrooms for 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli and baby corn and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the water chestnuts, stir in the sauce mixture and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Swirl in the sesame seed oil and serve hot with steamed rice.
What is Oyster Sauce?
- Oyster Sauce - What is Oyster Sauce?
Oyster sauce is a sweet and savory sauce with a deep earthy flavor provided by oyster juices that have been cooked down and caramelized. This all purpose sauce is great on noodles, stir fry, meat, seafood, and vegetables.
- Oyster sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia