Beetroot Kootu Recipe
Nutritious and Colorful
Beetroot kootu is a mild (spice-wise), delicious, nutritious, and attractive curry. This ruby-red side dish has a smooth texture. It pairs well with roti, steamed rice, chapati, and poori.
Moong dal (split mung beans) and beets are the main ingredients in this dish. Coconut gravy gives a nice flavor to this side dish.
Beets are high in immune boosting vitamin C, fiber, and minerals. They are good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas.
Moong dal is a filling food high in resistant starch, fiber, protein, and minerals. Cooked moong dal gives a smooth texture to the food.
Making beetroot kootu is easy. Let me now share with you a detailed recipe for making this side dish.
- 2 small cups beetroot, diced
- 1 small cup moong dal(split de husked mung beans)
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 dry red chilies
- 2 pinches hing powder
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- gooseberry-sized tamarind, soaked in water
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 tsp oil, preferably coconut oil
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Beetroot Kootu
- Wash beetroot. Make small pieces.
- Wash moong dal. Take them in a container.
- Add chopped beetroot. Throw in some salt. Add some water.
- Pressure cook them, until beetroot gets cooked. This may take about 7 minutes in a pressure cooker. Turn off the heat.
- In the meanwhile, take grated coconut in a mixer. Add cumin seeds and red chilies.
- Grind adding water to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Next, heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves and hing powder. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped onions. Saute, until they are transparent. Add ground paste. Saute for two minutes.
- Add cooked beetroot-moong dal mix. Add some water. Throw in remaining salt. Mix well.
- Bring the mix to a boil. Adjust the consistency by adding water. Kootu should be moderately thick.
- Boil the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite beetroot kootu is ready! Serve it with chapati, roti, poori, or steamed rice. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Beetroot Kootu
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 98 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|