I enjoy cooking simple and tasty dishes, especially ones with healthy ingredients.
Tasty Salad With a Spicy Kick
This colorful black bean salad is packed with nutritious veggies. The savory cilantro and lime vinaigrette dressing contains Greek yogurt and a touch of chili powder for a slightly spicy kick. Serve this dish with corn tortilla chips for a fun and tasty meal!
If you use canned black beans, be sure to drain and rinse them well before adding them to the salad, as this will remove the starchy liquid and sodium that surrounds them.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
For the salad:
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cup cooked beans
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated or shredded
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 2% fat
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
Read More From Delishably
- Chop the rinsed romaine lettuce into thin slices until you have enough to fill 8 cups. Place them in a large salad bowl.
- Chop the tomato, green pepper, and red onion into small chunks and add them to the salad bowl.
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans and add them to the salad.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and add it to the salad. Prepackaged shredded cheese works fine, too.
- Gently toss the ingredients together in the salad bowl.
- Prepare a glass bottle to hold the vinaigrette dressing, and prepare your blender for blending the dressing ingredients.
- Chop the tomato, cilantro, and garlic and place them in the blender.
- Measure the olive oil, apple cider, lime juice, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, Greek yogurt, and sugar, and add them to the blender.
- Turn the blender on high until the ingredients combine into a smooth liquid. It should only take a few seconds.
- Pour the liquid from the blender into the vinaigrette bottle. I use a funnel because the mouth of my dressing bottle is small.
- Gently pour the dressing from the vinaigrette bottle over the salad. Gently toss the salad. You can choose to pour the dressing directly over each serving of salad if you prefer. This is what I do when I make this salad just for myself, so that the leftovers don't get soggy.
- Serve with a side of tortilla chips!
Note About the Vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette dressing, you can substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt if you wish. The dressing will be savory either way!
© 2022 Madeleine Clays