Leah is a follower of the 21-Day Fix. She works in mental health.
I use often use cauliflower in my cooking as you may have noticed if you've read my other recipes. It's a versatile veggie that takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with, making it easy to sneak into lots of recipes for some extra nutrition. I often use cauliflower rice, but sometimes I get bored with it and decide I want to get some crunch out of my veggies.
I happened to have a head of cauliflower in the refrigerator, so I took out my favorite chef knife and chopped it up. I wanted to add some bold flavor to it, so I retrieved my favorite buffalo hot sauce. You can use any kind you prefer, but I chose Cholula because it's my go-to. It's got a little heat and a lot of flavor—perfect for pairing with cauliflower!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 servings of 1 cup each
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Put them into a large Ziplock bag and add the remaining ingredients. Close the bag and shake it to mix everything until the cauliflower is totally coated with the sauce and seasonings.
- Place the cauliflower onto a baking sheet and place on the top rack of your oven for 30 minutes, flipping once about halfway through. Let them cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Why Use a Ziploc Resealable Bag?
Once the cauliflower was cut up, I didn't want to have another dish to wash. Cauliflower can get messy, ya know? So I threw the pieces into a plastic bag with the sauce and seasonings and mixed it that way. It was so much easier than using a dish, and the clean up was non-existent. If you've ever used cut up cauliflower, you know that the little pieces can get everywhere and be a nightmare to clean up. A Ziploc bag seemed like the perfect way to avoid a mess, and it totally was!
21-Day Fix Container Counts
This recipe is 21-Day-Fix approved. One serving would count as:
- 1 green container
- 1.5 teaspoons
Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is widely accepted as a healthy vegetable. But why? There are a lot of benefits to incorporating cauliflower into your diet on a regular basis. Here are some of the top reasons:
- It's high in fiber. This can aid in weight loss and help you feel full throughout the day. Also, fiber is very important in keeping our digestive systems functioning smoothly.
- It's low in calories. This helps with weight loss too. I, like many others, have struggled with this for decades. Even though it's low in calories, it contains a number of important vitamins, including vitamin C, vitamin K, B vitamins, and potassium.
- It's a good source of antioxidants. This word is thrown around often, but what do antioxidants really do for us? They protect the cells in our body from free radicals and can help to reduce inflammation. Antioxidants and fiber may help reduce our risk of developing certain diseases like cancer and heart problems.
© 2018 Leah
Travel Chef from Manila on June 26, 2018:
Another healthy recipe of a cauliflower. No grease at all! I will try this one. Thanks for sharing.